News:

• April 19, 2024, 09:57:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: painting w/brush  (Read 1187 times)

Offline Bootlegger

• 22 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
painting w/brush
« on: June 11, 2018, 10:08:10 AM »

I have read several times that when brushing, don't brush back over what you just painted, but there was never a reason as to why..  Can anyone advise?  Thanks...
8th Air Force Veteran
Gil Causey
AMA# 6964

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
Re: painting w/brush
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2018, 10:25:42 AM »
  I have read several times that when brushing, don't brush back over what you just painted, but there was never a reason as to why..  Can anyone advise?  Thanks...

Because, with dope, it will have started drying already, and you might get a drag of the brush. With dope, you want to give it as long as possible for the brush strokes to flow out.

With epoxy, it cures slowly enough that you can go over and over, and still have long enough for the brush strokes to level themselves. 

When spraying you can get nearly equivalent results with either dope or epoxy, but with brushing, epoxy is usually far superior.

Brett

Offline MikeyPratt

• Captain
Re: painting w/brush
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2018, 12:17:14 PM »

Brett is on the money with this, dip the brush, and wipe off only one side of the brush, then apply the 50/50% dope with the wet side of the brush, keep the brush strokes to just three short strokes (2-1/2” to 3”) and re dip the brush.  You want to keep the dope wet while applying the dope.  If the dope is still drying too fast, add 10 to 20% retarder to the mix.  Let it dry overnight.  Lightly sand and add an additional coats for a total of three.  This builds the base surface very quickly then apply the covering and start the process again only with more thinner 60/40.  I use a 2” camel hair brush that I've had for many years and it's perfect for a dope finish.  Apply three to four coats of dope to seal the covering.  Note:  Polyspan needs at least four coats of dope before you sand the covering, (or it will get the fuzzies), silkspan or tissue you can lightly sand after just two coats.  From this point on spray all additional coats and primer and let it sit for a week before sanding.

Later,
Mikey

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here