News:

• March 28, 2024, 06:51:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Painted graphics or vinyl??  (Read 2372 times)

Offline Steve Dwyer

• 2020 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
Painted graphics or vinyl??
« on: June 28, 2021, 06:17:16 AM »
After looking over some of the beautiful models in the appearance photos I have to ask are most builders using vinyl stencils to paint the graphic designs or do many simply apply vinyl? I'd prefer using paint but I can't recall what options are out there to create the stencils. I have recently made stencils on my own but it's not an easy task.

Steve

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
Re: Painted graphics or vinyl??
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2021, 06:42:23 AM »
After looking over some of the beautiful models in the appearance photos I have to ask are most builders using vinyl stencils to paint the graphic designs or do many simply apply vinyl? I'd prefer using paint but I can't recall what options are out there to create the stencils. I have recently made stencils on my own but it's not an easy task.

Steve

"Stencils?" By the true meaning of this word, I would say no one is using Stencils.

Some vinyl guy, I believe goes by the name "Get Stencils." The word and meaning is totally misused.

"Front Row." My guess would be paint masks. However, I've made vinyl graphics for first place NATs winners in scale. I specialize in scale.

Once clear coated, it's difficult to tell. This model, as all my models, have a combination of both, paint and vinyl. I cannot do "all paint" because I make and sell vinyl.

If you're building a model for "Front Row" I'd go with paint masks only.

However, if you're building to not compete, vinyl with a fuel proof clear coat over the model could be fine.

I make and send out a good deal of vinyl to CL modelers and R/C modelers. My actual market place is large scale Warbird R/C models. Over the Pond.

Choose wisely.

Charles
Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline Steve Dwyer

• 2020 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2021, 10:14:19 AM »
Ok you're going to have to explain what you mean by "paint masks"  Stencils in theory are typically cut out of cardboard and simply laid on an object before spraying to get lettering or some design on the surface.

I recently used a thin peel back vinyl I located at an art store. I peeled the backer placed it on glass, cut out the design and then carefully (not easily) lifted the stencil onto the plane followed with clear sealing the edges before finally air brushed the colored pattern. I call this a stencil.

If not please explain. I'm looking for a means to cut out a pattern in vinyl that can be easily adhered to a surface and lifted off following painting. It would be ideal if you could peel a bottom protective film, place the stencil on the surface and then peel off a top reinforcing backer. I had problems handling the vinyl because is was so thin, I actually adhered to layers of vinyl before cutting to design. Overall it was very tedious.

Steve

Offline kevin king

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2021, 12:08:54 PM »
I know of a few modelers that use a desktop vinyl cutter with much success. Something like the Cricket. Amazon sells the Oracle 813 paint masks by the sheet or role. They also have the clear Oratape Application Tape MT80P that goes on top of the mask/stencil after its cut. This clear application tape holds the  stencil together when applying it to whatever surface you are going to paint before you spray. If you don't want to spring the 200 bucks for the machine, find someone in your club that has one and I'm sure they would be happy to cut the mask for free. The art supply store airbrushing type of vinyls can be used but can be difficult because they are so thin. Basically it's dollar store 'Shelf Liner' at 10 times the price. This is what I used to paint the shark mouth on the Spitfire. All the other stencils used the 813 vinyl masking film, which is thicker than shelf liner/ frisket film stuff.
 Kevin.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2021, 06:19:21 PM by kevin king »

Offline Dwayne Donnelly

• 22 supporter
  • Captain
  • Balsa Beavers Toronto Canada
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2021, 02:30:34 PM »
Here's another method used by Windy Urtnowski, he applies rubber cement to the plane and then a template (stencil) I've not seen this done before, interesting.
My purpose in life is to serve as a warning to others.

Offline kevin king

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2021, 02:54:24 PM »
Ya, I've used that method and it's definitely a good one.

Offline Larry Wong

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2021, 08:52:23 PM »
Ya, I've used that method and it's definitely a good one.
.     Just a hint make sure the mask is the solvent type or you can have a mask that melts. FYI
Larry

Believing is the Beginning to greatness <><

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2021, 05:35:31 AM »
OK you're going to have to explain what you mean by "paint masks"  Stencils in theory are typically cut out of cardboard and simply laid on an object before spraying to get lettering or some design on the surface.

Steve

I get my paint masks made at the local sign shop, Pit Stop Graphics.
According to my man, stencils are reusable and a made to stencil many units.
Paint masks are a one time throwaway mask.

The masks I buy involve three layers.   The mask is in the middle.  The backing is in back.  The lifting tape is in front.
You peal off the backing and remove the part of the mask you don't intend to use.  For a number, for example, I remove the numbers and save them for a future project.  They are stuck down to an old piece of backing.
The lifting tape on the front keeps the whole mask aligned until you apply the mask.
So you press the mask onto the model and run it down with the lifting tape in place.
When it's rubbed down you peal off the lifting tape and spray. 

Then I can do a future project by painting the number color first, then hand-aligning the numbers between masking tape.
Paul Smith

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2021, 07:08:40 AM »
If you go over to CFC Graphic's vendor's corner,

I believe there's Builds involving paint masks and vinyl applications.

Also, in "Paint and Finishing."

Check out my Flite Streak, "Skyfall" build and finishing. Just about everything you need to know is there with 10,000 photos. Here's the model. Finished with paint, paint masks and some vinyl lettering.

"Transfer Paper" is the top layer, "Vinyl or Masks" is the second layer, which gets removed from the "Backing Paper."

I keep the backing paper because it's waxed and nothing sticks to it. I use the backing paper in some places of my builds.

CB
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline PJ Rowland

• AUS - 29541 AMA - 809970
  • Admiral
  • Melbourne - AUSTRALIA
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2021, 09:17:10 PM »
I guess it really depends on "how much do you use "

As far as "application" its a virtually identical process using vynil vs paint.
If you do it yourself or at a sign shop the process is cutting a shape.

Vynil ,the shape goes onto the painted surface and its done.
Vynil mask, the shape goes onto the surface and you paint it and its done..

The complexity is as much or as little as you want.

If your building 2 planes a year, then doing masks yourself is the way to go. If you're building 1 every 3 years then a vendor product is a sound solution.

I think for most people its a confidence issue.

If you always put limit on everything you do, physical or anything else. It will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them.” - Bruce Lee.

I Yearn for a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned.

Offline Alan Resinger

• Captain
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2021, 05:24:32 PM »
Most of the top level Precision Aerobatics pilots are using vinyl paint masks to paint trim on our models.  PA models are judged on apearance prior to the start of a contest.  The points awarded are added to the fllight score.  The rules also state the the model you compete with has to be built and finished by the flyer.
I have added some photos showing the vinyl paint masks and the application of the masks and the aplied paint.  When complete the entire model is clear coated so that when finished the edges of the trim paint is indistinguishable from the base colors.  My flying partner, Chris Cox and l bought a vinyl cutter about 7 years ago and use it all the time.  The models shown are my 2017 Divergent and my 2019 Rare Bear Bearcat.

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2021, 06:06:55 PM »
Chris’s and Alan’s models are humdingers.  We don’t even let them in the country to come to our contests anymore.
The Jive Combat Team
Making combat and stunt great again

Offline PJ Rowland

• AUS - 29541 AMA - 809970
  • Admiral
  • Melbourne - AUSTRALIA
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2021, 10:52:53 PM »
Your not letting anyone else into the country either...

Not just humdinger Canadians..
If you always put limit on everything you do, physical or anything else. It will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them.” - Bruce Lee.

I Yearn for a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned.

Offline kevin king

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2021, 08:47:06 PM »
A stencil and a mask. Any questions? I didnt think so.

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2021, 07:53:59 AM »
A stencil and a mask. Any questions? I didnt think so.

I'm glad I know know the difference.

There's even a commercial vinyl guy who doesn't know the difference or does he?

Pusher prop vs tractor prop?

Is the "pusher" really a pusher or a "tractor" just turning in the opposite direction?

Tomato vs tomatos vs tomatoes?

Does it really matter?

Charles

Offline John Carrodus

• Commander
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2022, 01:27:32 PM »
Neither.
I look em up on the poota and fiddle about with the size and colour then print them on normal printer paper, cut the out , clear coat them a few times and glue them on . Finish with as many automotive clear coats as you deem appropriate, sanding very very lightly between each. I use rattle cans exclusively.

Offline frank williams

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2022, 07:06:55 PM »
Everyone should have a vinyl cutter, or at least every other stunt flyer.  There are two "hobby" brands.  Cricut and Silhouette.  I preferred the Silhouette (Silhouette Portrait) because it seemed you have better access to external fonts.  They aren't that expensive.  Very useful.  More durable than you would think.  Keep it away from the wife, she'll want to decorate everything.

On the topic of masks ..... I'm still looking for the best material for masks.  Oracal has several, Avery, MacTac ...... what works best for our applications .... for solvent based colors, either laquer or epoxy or urethane.  I haven't found anything I'm really happy with.

Offline kevin king

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2022, 01:11:09 AM »

On the topic of masks ..... I'm still looking for the best material for masks.  Oracal has several, Avery, MacTac ...... what works best for our applications .... for solvent based colors, either laquer or epoxy or urethane.  I haven't found anything I'm really happy with.
Ask Alan or Chris what they use. That's what
I did. Pretty sure Chris Won concourse at the nats too. Thats good enough for me.

Kevin

Offline Alan Resinger

• Captain
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2022, 08:56:05 AM »
We  use MacMask by Mactac.  It's the best product l've used and l tried a bunch.  Available from Ordway Signs.
Alan

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2022, 10:02:44 AM »
I just go to my local hot rod graphics shop, Pit Stop Graphics.

It would take me a lot of model airplanes to cost-justify duplicating their capability.

Paul Smith

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2022, 06:27:00 PM »
Just keep in mind, if the graphics are "printed" a vinyl clear layer is needed to protect the ink. That's much thicker than "opaque" vinyl which has no printed ink. Less than half the weight also.

CFC Graphics have been on NATS winners.

Charles

A side note. I was using 3M "peel n stick" vinyl sheets as far back as the 70's. Available to those in the sign industry. We would use these, primary color only sheets, at that time, for "background" objects put in place before painted brush lettering. A great example would be the Sunoco logo. I had a large Sunoco account and these sheets were a blessing.

Charles

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here