Building Tips and technical articles. > Paint and finishing

Paint Schemes

(1/5) > >>

James Mills:
I hope in the next couple of weeks to finishing my Formula S (finally).  Creating a paint scheme is an exercise I struggle with on every plane it seems.  How do some of you come up with your paint jobs?

Thanks,

James

Randy Powell:
James,

Tough question because for me at least, it's different with every plane. Some, I have the paint scheme worked out before I start building it. Others, I don't know until I'm looking at the covered and prepped frame. Generally, I let the shapes of the plane suggest the paint scheme. I'm always looking for color combinations that I like and those can come from just about anywhere. Patriotic paint schemes are always popular. Claus Maikus did a great series in Stunt News a few years ago on designing paint schemes. It would be worthwhile to check that out. (Hopefully someone will come up with the year and issue).

Ultimately, it's an individual choice. The scheme and color choices are a reflection of you. What I think is cool may not be what you would choose.

Matt Colan:
Generally I like to look at stuff I like from other airplanes, and sketch it on the plans of the plans I copy from the magazine (usually find plans in a magazine, if not I find a picture and trace it).  I also want to have it fit the airplane, as in not having straight lines on an elliptical winged airplane.  Also colors that I find pleasing will end up on the airplane (favorite color is blue and generally ends up somewhere on the plane).  Also find stuff that pleases your eye, and from what I heard Steve Buso used to say, "if you remove the airplane and leave the paint scheme on, it should look like it wants to fly."

Good luck on the FormulaS

Terry Bolin:
James, I take colored pencils and draw several types of graphics and find the one that really fits the shape of your plane, It really works for me this way you  dont end up with a design that you are not real happy with as a finished product! Hope this helps! Terry

James Mills:

--- Quote from: Terry Bolin on January 28, 2010, 08:20:03 PM ---James, I take colored pencils and draw several types of graphics and find the one that really fits the shape of your plane, It really works for me this way you  dont end up with a design that you are not real happy with as a finished product! Hope this helps! Terry

--- End quote ---

Terry,

Thanks for the reply, I've tried things like that.  My problem is I tend to draw a blank when I sit down and try and come up with a paint job (Beth thinks I took to many shots to the head during college playing f-ball, I told her most of the time I wore a helmet LL~).

See you soon,

James

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version