News:

• May 13, 2024, 04:52:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Tinting Nitrate Clear / Randy's Filler Mix  (Read 1014 times)

Offline Joe Rice

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Lieutenant
Tinting Nitrate Clear / Randy's Filler Mix
« on: November 22, 2011, 06:23:56 AM »
I am using Nitrate Clear for the substrate work on a project and plan to use Randy's filler in the nitrate for the next step.  Randy suggests tinting with black dope, but I cannot mix black butyrate with the nitrate clear.  Are there any options for tinting nitrate so I can see my work  S?P

Joe 
Joe Rice
AMA 740106

Offline Bootlegger

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Tinting Nitrate Clear / Randy's Filler Mix
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2011, 07:08:52 AM »
  Put a small amount (1 oz) in a container and try some Rit dye that is powdered mixed into it, by using a small amount you don't mess up a larger portion.
  You might try the same method in thinner, then mix that into the dope...
   Good luck, and let us know how it worked, also go to an automotive paint store that mixes paint and have them put some black toner in the dope.. D>K
8th Air Force Veteran
Gil Causey
AMA# 6964

Offline Joe Rice

• Lieutenant
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2011, 07:20:11 AM »
  Put a small amount (1 oz) in a container and try some Rit dye that is powdered mixed into it, by using a small amount you don't mess up a larger portion.
   Good luck, and let us know how it worked, also go to an automotive paint store that mixes paint and have them put some black toner in the dope.. D>K

Gil, Thanks for the tips  y1  I will try both methods and post the results....

Joe
Joe Rice
AMA 740106

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2011, 02:22:27 PM »
Joe,

Nice looking model!

What is it covered with?

CB
Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2011, 02:37:35 PM »
Just from experience, the best tint I've seen for dope is House of Kolor's Kandy Koncentrates. Pretty much any color you want, don't fade in the sun and is a killer look. My buddy Pete Peterson did an article in Stunt News about this recently. Weirdly, he uses Lime Gold to tint butyrate and it comes out a nice yellow over balsa. What's underneath makes a big difference in the color of tint you choose.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Joe Rice

• Lieutenant
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2011, 03:27:08 PM »
Joe,

Nice looking model!

What is it covered with?

CB

CB... Thanks for the compliment. It is Fancherized Twister. The wing is covered with Polyspan.  Flaps, stab, elevator are .2 oz. carbon matt from Randy. Fuse is silkspan.  Landing gear from a defunct Cardinal ARF, pants from a Vector.  DS40 Classic power.  Debating on using color dope, or auto base coat/clear coat at this point. 

Joe
Joe Rice
AMA 740106

Offline Will Hinton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • www.authorwillhinton.com
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2011, 06:00:30 AM »
Ty's india ink solution works really well.  I've also tinted epoxy with it for other purposes.
John 5:24   www.fcmodelers.com

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2011, 11:44:24 AM »
I had a slight problem once when I ran of Randolph's tinted (blue) non tautening Nitrate in the middle of a project.  A bottle of blue ink from Staples worked perfectly.  The black india ink will work perfectly, also.

Big Bear
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline don Burke

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2011, 05:12:57 PM »

Disolve the powder in a little thinner before mixing, prevents little lumps from forming and mixes easier.
don Burke AMA 843
Menifee, CA

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2011, 10:17:00 PM »
Would there be a problem with dye/ink leeching out of the dope/talc when further coats of dope were applied? Seems like a good time to change to butyrate, to me. Then, you could just add a bit of leftover pigmented dope to your clear/talc mix.  :-\ Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2011, 12:22:42 PM »
Would there be a problem with dye/ink leeching out of the dope/talc when further coats of dope were applied? Seems like a good time to change to butyrate, to me. Then, you could just add a bit of leftover pigmented dope to your clear/talc mix.  :-\ Steve

Hi Steve,

I have never experienced leeching of the ink from further coats.  Butyrate goes over Nitrate exceptionally well (as does all the other "paints" I have finished with so far).  The ink becomes part of the nitrate as does any other "toner" or pigment.

Big Bear
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Joe Rice

• Lieutenant
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2011, 02:56:29 PM »
OK... I got some black 1k base coat toner from the local auto body supply store and added more than a few drops to a 1 ounce sample of nitrate clear / nitrate thinner with Randy's aero 1 filler.  It worked just fine... totally suspended and stayed that way.    y1   

Joe
Joe Rice
AMA 740106

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here