News:

• May 02, 2024, 02:43:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Comments on 'coats  (Read 891 times)

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Comments on 'coats
« on: September 03, 2012, 10:52:14 AM »
I went to cover a plane Saturday (Randy's Banshee), and found that the Monocoat that I had was stuck to its backing film.  @#$%.

I've been buying single rolls of Monocoat or Ultracoat at the LHS, all the while thinking that there has to be a less expensive way to cover planes.

I've got very little experience with 'coats other than Mono- and Ultra-coat -- back in the day I was mostly covering with tissue or silkspan, with a little bit of Coverite thrown in.  I'm still in "build & crash" mode, so I'm not ready to order up dope and start using the roll of Polyspan under my bench -- that'll come later.

I've heard some negative comments on Black Baron and Towercoat, and I've certainly had the dubious "pleasure" of trying to get some roll of mystery-coat to work right.  So is anyone using them and liking them?

How about Brodak's Kolor Koat, which is on 2-for-1 sale right now?

Sans any input, I'm either going to go and buy out a fellow modeler's stash of various film coverings and hope for the best, or buy a 25 foot roll of Monocoat from Tower ($55, which works out to $2.20/foot).

Thanks in advance.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Paul Wood

• 21 supporter
  • Commander
Re: Comments on 'coats
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2012, 11:57:46 AM »
Tim,

Everyone has their favorite covering based on their own individual experiences.  But, I have used just about every covering on the market (the exception being Brodak, which doesn't help answer your question).  I keep coming back to Ultracoat.  I cannot find anything better regarding application and duribility.  The fabric coverings are much more durable, but not very practical for C/L due to their weight.  Others may disagree, but I've covered dozens and dozens of R/C and C/L planes over the past several decades, and I still prefer Ultracoat if I'm not going to finish with paint.

Paul

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2012, 12:16:49 PM »
Ultracoat is my favorite.  If the prices on Tower and Hanger 9 is to be believed, though, Monocoat is actually cheaper in large rolls than Ultracoat.

And at this point I'm willing to go cheap if I'm not going to just end up with an ulcer and a bunch of covering material in the trash...
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2012, 08:49:29 AM »
I have used them all on many airplanes.   Monokote is still the best for me.   SLC is the latest and it seems to more workable.  The DoodleBug is all Monokote.   Yes, that is me the fat old man behind the plane.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here