News:

• April 18, 2024, 11:24:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Paint over finishing resin/glass  (Read 1526 times)

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Paint over finishing resin/glass
« on: August 22, 2012, 08:13:01 AM »
Guys,
Am getting to the point of making some paint discussions on my new El Diablo. I will use blue silk on the wing with yellow flame trim on the wing and body. I have done the 1/2 oz glass with finishing resin/scrap/toilet paper roll off on the stab/elevator, fuse. Since the wing will be mostly clear I'm wondering about the undercoat for the trim. I put a few drops of yellow pigment in the finishing resin and that gives a nice yellow tint to the base. Since this fills the weave, is there a need for primer? Or go right to color and sand flat between coats?

I'm kinda thinking the tint in the resin gives enough block to go to color and use it to fill any small uneven areas, maybe 3 coats? I think this may be lighter then a primer then color. Any thoughts on this?

Best,     DennisT

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Paint over finishing resin/glass
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2012, 07:00:26 PM »
The only thing I know about it is to put white pigmented dope under yellow, orange and red. Probably a good time to make a test panel, so you get what you like and expect to get.  #^ Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline PJ Rowland

• AUS - 29541 AMA - 809970
  • Admiral
  • Melbourne - AUSTRALIA
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2012, 10:01:38 AM »
I wouldnt run the risk personally.. Typically I add 15 - 20 g in total of primer on a 600sq ship

You run the major risk of poor paint adhesion.

Hope this info helps..

Primer is a paint product that allows finishing paint to adhere much better than if it were used alone. For this purpose, primer is designed to adhere to surfaces and to form a binding layer that is better prepared to receive the paint. Because primers do not need to be engineered to have durable, finished surfaces, they can instead be engineered to have more aggressive filling and binding properties with the material underneath. Sometimes this is achieved with specific chemistry, as in the case of aluminum primer, but more often this is achieved through controlling the primer's physical properties such as porosity and tackiness.

If you always put limit on everything you do, physical or anything else. It will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them.” - Bruce Lee.

I Yearn for a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned.

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2012, 10:46:27 AM »
PJ,
I see your point, I intend to use Butyrate dope. With the Zap finishing resin on the glass what primer would you recommend? Is there one that is fuel proof?

Best,    DennisT

Offline PJ Rowland

• AUS - 29541 AMA - 809970
  • Admiral
  • Melbourne - AUSTRALIA
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2012, 02:40:10 AM »
Quite often I use 3/4 oz glass with West Systems or Ezlam Resin.

Thats mainly to get the stuff down and set - its different to the finishing process.

Depending on how you choose to finish, my personal preference is a finishing resin over the top of that sanded with 400 carbon veil + Dope plenty of layers you know the drill then a 4:1 auto primer.

Lay down the base paint lay out your trims and button it up in clear.

There is no need to be concerned about fuel proofed primer... unless your going to fly it in Primer.
All the fuel proofing is done from bare frame in dope and to some degree the clear coat.

If you always put limit on everything you do, physical or anything else. It will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them.” - Bruce Lee.

I Yearn for a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned.

Advertise Here
Tags: paint  primer  dope 

Advertise Here