News:

• March 28, 2024, 03:40:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Paint Mask Material  (Read 2323 times)

Offline jfv

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
Paint Mask Material
« on: February 07, 2023, 09:03:50 AM »
Just wondering what the latest thinking is on the brand of paint mask material people are using?
Jim Vigani

Offline kevin king

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Paint Mask Material
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2023, 12:36:16 PM »
Just wondering what the latest thinking is on the brand of paint mask material people are using?
I use Oramask 813 and Mactac with good results. The  813 is a little more ridged and the Mactac is more flexible.

Offline James H. Dean

• New Pilot
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2023, 12:28:01 PM »
FBS has excellent paint masks. they have 3 to choose from. I prefer the green mask myself, but you can buy 8.5x11 sheets in small quantity to try out which mask works best for you.

Offline jfv

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2023, 05:55:23 PM »
Thanks for the info.  Think I'll give all 3 a try.
Jim Vigani

Offline Tom Luciano

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2023, 05:26:28 AM »
By recommendation on this site, I went with MacTac 8448 and love it. I purchase from Ordway sign
AMA 13001

Offline kevin king

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2023, 07:34:46 AM »
By recommendation on this site, I went with MacTac 8448 and love it. I purchase from Ordway sign
Amen on the Mactac Tom. That stuff is the cats meow.

Offline Fred Cronenwett

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Lafayette Esquadrille
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2023, 06:28:48 PM »
Even if you don't have a Cricut use the removable vinyl material as a paint mask. Nice sharp crisp lines with a painted surface. Push it down to make sure there is no space between the surface and the mask.
Fred Cronenwett
AMA CLSCALE7 - CL Scale
Model Aviation CL Scale columnist

Offline kevin king

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2023, 01:51:16 PM »
And make sure you buy a roll of Transfer paper.

Offline Miotch

• Commander
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2023, 08:03:56 AM »
And make sure you buy a roll of Transfer paper.

Could you please explain ??  I'm trying to morph into at least the late 20th century, and these words I read are foreign to me ....   Seriously, I am curious how you do this

Offline kevin king

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2023, 01:36:04 AM »
Could you please explain ??  I'm trying to morph into at least the late 20th century, and these words I read are foreign to me ....   Seriously, I am curious how you do this
My apologies, the correct terminology is  transfer tape, not transfer paper. It is a clear low tac vinyl that you use on top of the mask after it is cut and 'weeded'. The transfer tape is used to transfer your mask from the mask's backing paper to the model. The transfer tape basically holds the mask together with the center parts of the letters, like in the letters "O"  "P"  "D" in place,  letters like "Y" "K" and M" are fine. The transfer tape also helps prevent the mask from distorting. Then after the mask is on the model, you peel off the transfer tape and spray the paint on the mask. Hope that makes sense.

https://www.amazon.ca/XVinyl-Transfer-Tape-Roll-Vinyl/dp/B08L1MCX6L/ref=asc_df_B08L1MCX6L/?tag=googlemobshop-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=459104839622&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=616397053802911833&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=m&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9001189&hvtargid=pla-1052545134440&psc=1
« Last Edit: March 03, 2023, 12:23:35 PM by kevin king »

Offline Steve Dwyer

• 2020 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2023, 05:58:45 AM »
Are you gents using purchased computer drive vinyl cutters to make your paint stencils or are you making free hand cut out patterns?

Steve

Offline jfv

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2023, 09:37:19 AM »
Yes. I use a USCutter MH Series Vinyl Cutter.  Not the best, but reasonable price.  Works very well for my needs.
Jim Vigani

Offline Steve Dwyer

• 2020 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2023, 05:44:35 AM »
USCutter MH Series Vinyl Cutter.    Any experience using the least expensive 14 inch model? If it will cut graphics to spread half the length of a wing the 14 inch width should be adequate.

Steve

Offline kevin king

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2023, 10:13:57 AM »
lots of modlers also use the smaller desktop cutters like the Cricut. My cutter is a Scan n Cut 2, it will cut a 12 x 24" mask and doesn't take up alot of space. Unless your painting buses, thats big enough for our needs. There is a learning curve to deal with too, but its worth it.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2023, 10:53:58 PM by kevin king »

Offline Steve Dwyer

• 2020 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2023, 04:25:08 PM »
I'd like to have your recommendations of what brand and model cutter you would suggest for a limited user. I just want to make graphic paint stencils and numerals for the wings and fuse without spending a ton of money. Do you know of a good video covering the basics of making your own artwork?

Also how difficult is it to use the software? I'm not a graphic designer and have at best "adequate" computer skills.

Steve

Offline Tom Luciano

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2023, 01:08:43 PM »
Steve,
 I use the 14" cutter. It suits my needs. Small detail was great
AMA 13001

Offline Tom Luciano

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2023, 01:09:31 PM »
Large too!
AMA 13001

Offline Steve Dwyer

• 2020 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2023, 04:19:33 PM »
Tom,

Nice looking work, it appears the USCutter MH Series 14" Vinyl Cutter has no longer available. There refurbished 14 size units for sale and some on E bay but I'd rather not end up with others problems.

Referring to the eagle design on the tail to get the red center did you weed out the center allowing the background color of the rudder to show through?

Will the soft ware for the USCutter allow you to create random designs and shapes like your other photo to use as paint stencils that will fit the length of the wing? Was the eagle taken from a print you copied into your pc storage and retrieved by the USCutter software or was it an available print you found in the software?

Steve

Offline kevin king

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2023, 07:26:40 AM »
I'd like to have your recommendations of what brand and model cutter you would suggest for a limited user. I just want to make graphic paint stencils and numerals for the wings and fuse without spending a ton of money. Do you know of a good video covering the basics of making your own artwork?

Also how difficult is it to use the software? I'm not a graphic designer and have at best "adequate" computer skills.

Steve
If you find this vinyl cutter to complex to use, i would suggest Cali graphics to cut the paint masks for you.

Offline kevin king

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2023, 02:59:35 PM »
I take back what i said about the blue oracle 813. i know lots of people use it but the Mac tac is 10 times better. Blue 813 separates from the backing paper way to much. Air bubble city.

Offline Tom Luciano

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2023, 07:19:28 AM »
Tom,

Nice looking work, it appears the USCutter MH Series 14" Vinyl Cutter has no longer available. There refurbished 14 size units for sale and some on E bay but I'd rather not end up with others problems.

Referring to the eagle design on the tail to get the red center did you weed out the center allowing the background color of the rudder to show through?

Will the soft ware for the USCutter allow you to create random designs and shapes like your other photo to use as paint stencils that will fit the length of the wing? Was the eagle taken from a print you copied into your pc storage and retrieved by the USCutter software or was it an available print you found in the software?

Steve

Steve,
Sorry I didn't see your question. The program is far more superior than my abilities. The answer is yes, to as much as I can computer draw. Also, you can import from paint or other drawing programs. You can, also sketch something manually, scan and save as a jpeg. Just need color separation for the program to vectorize. you can tweak the vector file by sharpening or smoothing corners, size, stretch, etc.

Tom
AMA 13001

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here