Building Tips and technical articles. > Paint and finishing

P-40 Refurbish & Paint Recomendations

(1/3) > >>

Steve Maines:
I have an older P-40 Warhawk C/L model that I an refurbishing and have now patched all the tears in the wing. New silkspan and several coats of Brodak clear dope mixed 50/50 with thinners. The original colour scheme is light gray on the bottom of the wings, green/brown camo on the upper surface of the wing and on the fuselage. I'm not having luck matching the dope colours and wonder if there is an alternative paint that works. Spray cans would be ideal as I don't have an airbrush. A paint brush finish would suffice if I have to go that route. Any recommendations?

Ken Culbertson:
An automotive paint store can match almost any color.  You may have to take the plane in.  I use English Color here.  They can mix and match anything.  Make sure you get something that will clear coat.  Plan "B" would be to find a spray color that is close and repaint the whole camouflage section that the patches intersect with, but that is weight -uggh.

Ken

Steve Maines:

--- Quote from: Ken Culbertson on December 02, 2023, 09:09:38 AM ---An automotive paint store can match almost any color.  You may have to take the plane in.  I use English Color here.  They can mix and match anything.  Make sure you get something that will clear coat.  Plan "B" would be to find a spray color that is close and repaint the whole camouflage section that the patches intersect with, but that is weight -uggh.

Ken

--- End quote ---

What clear coats work that are glow fuel proof? I have a spray can of Minwax Fast-Drying Polyurethane that is supposed to tolerate glow fuel to a point.

I am planning to use my old Fox 35 with Omega 15% fuel. I was advised to take a gallon of 15% Omega fuel, remove 14oz of fuel and then add 14oz of castor oil (maybe Klotz BeNOL) back to the gallon of fuel. This should be suitable for my Fox 35 engine.

Ken Culbertson:
Steve, I am the wrong one to ask about clear coat for IC.  I am 100% electric now.  My last IC was painted with Rustoleum and was not clear coated except over the decals.  The Rustoleum (this was 2017) became fuel "proof" after about two weeks gassing off. I think I read that the latest 2x Rustoleum clear is not fuel proof.  I think they have changed their formula.   There are a gazillion threads arguing which clear coat is best over which paint.  Most are using some form of 2k automotive.  Search on "Clear Coat" then pop some popcorn, sit back and read the 79 pages of postings!  Fuel proof in itself is a misnomer.  Most finishes are just highly fuel resistant.  That is why we heavily waxed them and wiped them down between flights "back in the day".

If you get the colors from an automotive paint store ask them what clear they recommend.  Tell them that your fuel contains nitro.  They will know what you mean.

Ken

wwwarbird:

--- Quote from: Steve Maines on December 02, 2023, 09:50:18 AM --- I have a spray can of Minwax Fast-Drying Polyurethane that is supposed to tolerate glow fuel to a point.

--- End quote ---

Way back in my "improvising" paint job days I used the exact Minwax spray you describe here. It works, but with multiple compromises. It's safe to spray over pretty much anything, and tolerates fuel well, but after a time (and less than you'd think) it gets brittle and develops spiderweb cracks all over. Also, if you need to do any sort of covering repair nothing sticks to it. Long story short, don't give yourself more headaches down the road by using it.
 In the case of your P-40 here, I'd suggest just repainting the entire model, ideally with dope. Better yet, hang it on the wall and build an all new one. D>K

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version