News:

• March 28, 2024, 03:37:03 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Outdoor Spray Booth, ARGO 2  (Read 3796 times)

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
Outdoor Spray Booth, ARGO 2
« on: October 18, 2017, 07:54:48 PM »
I just remembered I had these photos.

The ARGO 2 clamped to a picnic table outdoors for final clear coat. Two clamps just to be sure.

100% aerosol cans except for the airbrushed silver highlight on the canopy.

CB

Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Outdoor Spray Booth, ARGO 2
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2017, 08:54:18 PM »
   And this is a graphic illustration of how you SHOULD NOT spray paint a model airplane, unless you  like sanding out bugs, dirt, and general debris, not to mention that you have to handle the model more than necessary to transport it if the paint isn't completely dry. If you don't have a garage, basement or other indoor area in which to paint, FIND ONE to borrow.
   Unless of course you just like doing it so you can take lots of pointless photos of it to post on the internet to try and solicit comments and pats on the back for how great of a job you are doing.
   Nah, couldn't be that?
   Type at you later,
  Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2017, 09:06:55 PM »
   And this is a graphic illustration of how you SHOULD NOT spray paint a model airplane, unless you  like sanding out bugs, dirt, and general debris, not to mention that you have to handle the model more than necessary to transport it if the paint isn't completely dry. If you don't have a garage, basement or other indoor area in which to paint, FIND ONE to borrow.
   Unless of course you just like doing it so you can take lots of pointless photos of it to post on the internet to try and solicit comments and pats on the back for how great of a job you are doing.
   Nah, couldn't be that?
   Type at you later,
  Dan McEntee

Dan,

You will always be my troll and no more.

The finish is floorless. I'll eventually have it at the field and you can ask my flying buddies. No dirt, no bugs and no dust. The are methods you just have to know them.

BTW. I'm making a point here. Anyone can finish a model nicely even with simple aerosol cans.

And my Threads, unlike yours, because you have none, are only to promote modeling and model building.

How can any modeler worth a grain of salt find fault with that?

CB
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline James Holford

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2017, 07:17:03 PM »
Hmmm how about this Dan... you do what works for you.. and let charles do what works for him.... you dont have to make non stop pointless replies on every one of his threads.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Jamie Holford
Baton Rouge Bi-Liners
Lafayette, La
AMA #1126767

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2017, 09:29:38 AM »
Hey, I guess that is why I don't get 20 point finishes.  I spray paint out side the shop on days when there is hardly any wind.  Other wise I brush the paint on in the shop.   Every body has their way of doing things and what works for one may not work for the other. H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2017, 02:57:46 PM »
Hmmm how about this Dan... you do what works for you.. and let charles do what works for him.... you dont have to make non stop pointless replies on every one of his threads.

Well, I guess you told me off huh??? 

I don't make pointless replies to every one of his posts.  I pick the posts where I think he is passing on bad habits and mis-information,  and then I do make a point! It gets tiresome seeing the blatant top posting he does with endless photos of the same models that have never flown, and probably never will fly, I don't care what he says. The claims of promoting the hobby and instructing are bogus.  It's all pure self serving and self promoting.  You can't promote or instruct on a subject when it takes 4 or 5 years to build something, and then the potential problems with some of his methods can for certain turn people off the hobby if they think we all do things that way. He's not the only person to ever paint a model out side, but maybe he thinks he is. Maybe he even cheats by wrapping the pavilion with plastic to cut the wind but still claims he painted it "outside". Either way it is not the optimum , best way to do it no matter how much he brags and pumps himself up for doing it. You have to define, "what works."  If he were to take one of his "fleet" with the "floorless" finish to ANY contest, fly it in at least the beginner class and get at LEAST 15 points for the finish, I would probably never post to one of his threads again.  But that will never happen because he always has some excuse for not completely finishing a model so it can be flown, because he doesn't want to. I doubt that he belongs to the AMA because none of his "rides" has an AMA number on it, so that would preclude him from flying any of them also. If he finishes a model that we haven't been beaten over the head with for 3 or 4 years, says "here's my new ride!", and then moves on to the next challenge, that's fine. But it's the repeated top posting, which is against forum rules, that gets sooooooooo tiresome.  LET"S SEE ONE OF THEM FLY FOR A CHANGE!!!!!
   Type at you later,
   Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824

Offline James Holford

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2017, 05:11:56 PM »
2 things Dan because I think deep down youre a good guy and this really does not need to be blown further than it has.

#1---What Charles does with his posts does not hurt you in any way shape or form. You arent a Moderator so stop pretending to be one.

#2-- you really need a hug.....

Enjoy your weekend. Hope we can move on and enjoy this wonderful hobby.

Jamie Holford
Baton Rouge Bi-Liners
Lafayette, La
AMA #1126767

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2017, 06:57:20 PM »
     Two things James, because if you know me, you don't have to go deep down to know that I'm a good guy. There are about a hundred people on this forum that would probably stick up for me if they needed to, and it wasn't going top get "blown further" until you decided to step in.

1) What Charles does in his posts does not hurt me. But it can hurt some one that is still trying to find his way in the hobby that doesn't know any better. It can hurt them is several shapes and forms. And may I point out that you are not a moderator either, so would you please stop pretending to be one. I was not trying to "moderate" Chuck's post. I was merely making a comment about it's content, and made no personal attacks or comments other than his constant desire for attention and a pat on the back.

2) I don't need a hug, I get those all the time. I need a cold beer and a couple of days off work.

I can't enjoy my weekend. I have to work tomorrow and it's supposed to rain Sunday. I can't do the test flying on two models that I need to get in. That is something that "Charles"  doesn't know anything about. He's too busy building hanger queens and posting endless "build threads." He really should try flying. It's the best part of the hobby. I have asked him this question many times: Why do all the work to build a flying machine, and then not fly it????
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824

Offline James Holford

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2017, 07:22:31 PM »
Perhaps that is just something he likes to do.  Build. We all have our own reasons as to why we are in this hobby.

I myself will enjoy this weekend immensely.  Our contest is tomorow. Enjoyed the company of Ty Marcucci..joe gilbert..jim lynch..paul taylor.. and many more for the practice day. Hoping the rains holds off.

A beer would be nice.

Talk in your general direction later,
Jamie H

Jamie Holford
Baton Rouge Bi-Liners
Lafayette, La
AMA #1126767

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2017, 07:50:43 PM »
     Two things James, because if you know me, you don't have to go deep down to know that I'm a good guy. There are about a hundred people on this forum that would probably stick up for me if they needed to, and it wasn't going top get "blown further" until you decided to step in.

1) What Charles does in his posts does not hurt me. But it can hurt some one that is still trying to find his way in the hobby that doesn't know any better. It can hurt them is several shapes and forms. And may I point out that you are not a moderator either, so would you please stop pretending to be one. I was not trying to "moderate" Chuck's post. I was merely making a comment about it's content, and made no personal attacks or comments other than his constant desire for attention and a pat on the back.

2) I don't need a hug, I get those all the time. I need a cold beer and a couple of days off work.

I can't enjoy my weekend. I have to work tomorrow and it's supposed to rain Sunday. I can't do the test flying on two models that I need to get in. That is something that "Charles"  doesn't know anything about. He's too busy building hanger queens and posting endless "build threads." He really should try flying. It's the best part of the hobby. I have asked him this question many times: Why do all the work to build a flying machine, and then not fly it????

Dan,

Every time you Post and refer to Avaiojet, it's always a mess. You just want to provoke.

You have James going, shame on you Dan but thank you James.

Dan, I actually have you blocked but I took a peek for amusement.

The Truth.

I've been trolled repeatedly for over 6 years possibly more. It's not a secret, it's obvious actually because everybody reads that filth.

Sure, some probably don't like me, including you, and there are many I don't like either, but I have good reason, thing is, I never trolled you or anyone else.

This is "absolute truth." And it's horrible that you persist at this. How many times have I said if you troll me you troll the entire Forum.

You don't have to troll. You do have control of yourself, don't you?

Remember many years ago I said I was going to do ALL my building in full view of the Forum?

Well, that's all I'm doing and I will continue to do it, in spit of you or anyone else.

And I'm passing bad building traits or techniques onto other modelers? Dan, you don't have to be everyone's "mom," they can decide for themselves what they elect to take in and what they may consider bad advice.

Good and not so good advice is everywhere! Pick through it. LL~

Dan, I really like sharing my work with others. It's different and I design and build what I find interesting. My guess is there are a few who might enjoy my Threads and Posts. I can think of two right now.

For those that don't, like Robert says, "Change the channel."

God man, you've had this thing about my AMA for years?

It's 007.

Alpha Mike Foxtrot

Edited for spelling.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2017, 08:35:21 PM by Avaiojet »

Offline Sean McEntee

• Captain
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2017, 08:33:46 PM »
So have you flown it yet?  D>K

Online kenneth cook

• Admiral
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2017, 05:32:10 AM »
        The plane looks damn good. Being a huge James Bond fan, the theme makes it that much better. I don't have the luxury of indoor spraying nor the time to take it where I can. I like it, nicely done. Ken

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2017, 09:40:54 AM »
        The plane looks damn good. Being a huge James Bond fan, the theme makes it that much better. I don't have the luxury of indoor spraying nor the time to take it where I can. I like it, nicely done. Ken

Ken,

Thanks for the kind reply. You're a good man.

I'm a James Bond fan also. Obviously.  #^

So much in fact, I actually took a flight, 2800 miles to the west coast to buy a 2003 Thunderbird, Limited Edition. Only 700 were produced as the 007 Bond T-Bird. Bought it and drove it home. Had 6K miles on it. Just about 9000 when I got home.

Wife and I had a great time with that car took many trips and with two dogs! Yes, some years ago. Isn't everything? Reminiscing.

Thanks again Ken for the reply.

For those interested.

http://www.jamesbondlifestyle.com/product/2003-ford-thunderbird-limited-edition-007

Offline Will Moore

• Commander
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2017, 06:29:12 AM »
I was at the flying field yesterday, and guess what, Charles showed up with his ARGO 2.  His graphics were flawless ( because he is an expert master graphic artist), and the airplane was incredibly beautifully finished.
Local BOM contests would judge it near perfect.  NATS maybe 2nd or 3rd row. I’m not kidding. When Charles told me it was a quick job, I wondered what perfection would be like. When he told me he painted it outside, in Florida,
With rattle can paint,  I almost couldn’t get my head wrapped around it.  So I looked up this post, so I could mention what I saw.  No drips, no bugs, no errors. Finish wasn’t even compounded out. Some comments have been made about whether it can fly or not, or whether Charles can fly it or not.  Well, I know it can fly, and I know I could put it through the pattern with respect. It has a T Bird wing, and moments. So the design parameters are modern enough. Can Charles put it through the pattern? Does it matter? That’s not what this hobby/sport is all about. Charles loves to build. You can plainly see it in his creations. I love to fly. (And Charles told me I’m off my game, a bit, LOL ).  I can’t build and paint like Charles does. I get too impatient. So what.  Credit should be given where credit is due. And then, leave the rest alone.  It’s a hobby, for goodness sakes. Enjoy!
Things take longer to happen than you think they will,

Then they happen much faster than you thought they could.
 AMA # 209

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2017, 11:46:55 AM »
I am also one of the guilty ones about Charles and his creations and the ability to fly.   YES, the name of the game is having fun no matter what,  building, finishing or flying.   I sit here now thinking about the first time I flew a tank out on a 1/2A doing just levels laps so many years ago.  I guess I got into competition big time and ignored the fun side of modelling.  Even the years I tried to get a group going again in the KC area.  Need to get a video of Charles flying an old beat up Ringmaster so he can say "Now there".  LL~ LL~
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2017, 10:13:26 AM »
Will,

Thank you for the kind remarks.

The ARGO 2 is everything you say it is.  LL~

Charles

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2017, 01:49:20 PM »
Will,

Thank you for the kind remarks.

The ARGO 2 is everything you say it is.  LL~

Charles

No, it most certainly isn't. Not until it is put to the test. You can't put a bunch of computer generated stickers on a model, lather it in clear coat and declare it a front rows airplane. Not until it is put to the test. You have never witnessed that process and know how discriminating the judges are. It takes many hours for the appearance points to be judged, they just don't look at a model and write down a number like at most local contests. I have been part of that process, seen the actual models that were awarded 18 points or more and know most of the guys that built them and FLY them. You are not in that league. Until this or one of your models and flies and shows what it is capable of,  you will never be at that or any level. It's just that simple. Building a nice looking model doesn't count if it doesn't fly, that is what stunt is about. If it doesn't fly it's just another hanger queen, and you have to wonder why you put power plant and controls in it. You may as well be carving statues.
    Type at you later,
      Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2017, 03:45:43 PM »
Dan,

I've decided to BLOCK you and a few others. A troll is a troll and will always be a troll.

So say whatever demining comments you like, I won't be reading them.

I should have BLOCKED you years ago.

Better late than never.

CB

Offline Vincent Judd

• Commander
« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2017, 03:56:26 PM »
Charles, I find the Argo 2 very pleasing to my eye.  I love the lines.  The paint scheme and the finish are also very nice.  If I were to build something similar, the only change I would make would be to invert the engine, that long sexy nose just doesn't look quite right to me with the motor sticking up there.  That being said, I'm sure you had your reasons for building it with an upright motor.  It wouldn't matter to me anyway because I'm one of those guys that flies with electrons-that long nose would be a perfect place for my batteries. 

I don't give a big rat's behind if you ever compete with the Argo 2, as a matter of fact, I don't care if you ever fly it.  What difference does that make?   It's still a very nice looking airplane.  I'd be proud to have created something that nice. 

Some people build, some people fly, some people do both.  Some people have paint booths, some will never have one.  I fall in that second category. After seeing your results, I'm no longer afraid to spray outdoors, that will make my wife very happy.

Thank you for your contributions.

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2017, 05:56:03 PM »
Charles, I find the Argo 2 very pleasing to my eye.  I love the lines.  The paint scheme and the finish are also very nice.  If I were to build something similar, the only change I would make would be to invert the engine, that long sexy nose just doesn't look quite right to me with the motor sticking up there.  That being said, I'm sure you had your reasons for building it with an upright motor.  It wouldn't matter to me anyway because I'm one of those guys that flies with electrons-that long nose would be a perfect place for my batteries. 

I don't give a big rat's behind if you ever compete with the Argo 2, as a matter of fact, I don't care if you ever fly it.  What difference does that make?   It's still a very nice looking airplane.  I'd be proud to have created something that nice. 

Some people build, some people fly, some people do both.  Some people have paint booths, some will never have one.  I fall in that second category. After seeing your results, I'm no longer afraid to spray outdoors, that will make my wife very happy.

Thank you for your contributions.

Vincent,

Yes, I agree. Some people do a lot of things and some don't do much of anything.

Guess you haven't seen the ARGO? That was the first in the ARGO series,  LL~ the ARGO 2 was the second.

The ARGO 2 build explains the engine being right side up. I started with a T-Bird fuselage partially built. Engine was upright and I didn't want to make the change.

Besides, I like the engine upright, gives the model an older look.

Thank you so much for your kind reply.

Charles

Offline Peter Nevai

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
    • C3EL
« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2017, 08:35:05 PM »
Howdy Charles, I have almost finished the unpacking and getting everything situated in the new place. What you see here where most of my modeling will be done. The Garage with all our stuff is a bit cramped to work in without having to move the cars outside, and inside the wife's house rules are No Sanding, No Painting and other messy stuff going on. Besides I have no room really in the home office to get set up for serious building. Fortunately monokoting is on the approved indoor  activity list. Anyway my work bench will be the patio table shown in the photo and IMHO I could think of worse workshop environments. Rain is the only game stopper but then so long as no sanding or painting is involved things can be easily moved indoors upon the threat of rain. Heck there are four huge sliding glass doors into just about every room in the house so rapid evacuation is ridiculously easy. Also if I get overheated after a particularly taxing building session cool refreshments in the form of Pina Collada's  and that hole in the patio with all that water in it is a mere steps away.

I know it is a work environment that many would find wholly intolerable but when living in Florida one does have to make sacrifices. :)
Words Spoken by the first human to set foot on Mars... "Now What?"

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here