News:

• April 18, 2024, 08:42:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Olive or castor oil in colour dope?  (Read 737 times)

Offline Dwayne Donnelly

• 22 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
  • Balsa Beavers Toronto Canada
Olive or castor oil in colour dope?
« on: April 12, 2023, 05:53:49 AM »
I seem to remember someone telling me you can add oil to coloured dope to make it shine, true or just witchcraft?
My purpose in life is to serve as a warning to others.

Online Ty Marcucci

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
Re: Olive or castor oil in colour dope?
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2023, 12:49:15 PM »
A few drops of castor oil is refered to as "plastciser" and yes, it will make dope more shiney, but dries slower and you must not add too much.. I think it was two eye drops per quart or such. You can buy platiciser already made up, from Dave Brown Products.

DO NOT USE OLIVE OIL.  Save that along with vinegar for your Italian salads.
Ty Marcucci

Offline Dave Hull

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2023, 06:14:58 PM »
If you decide to go with the olive oil, be sure to pick the pimentos out of the pot after you press them. Unless you are trying for a "pimento-flake" finish....

The Divot

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2023, 06:51:01 PM »
Plasticizer in color dope may make it flow out flatter.  If you're going to sand, clearcoat, sand and polish, then it's not going to make any difference.  Or, if you go overboard, you'll have a softer surface that's harder to get to really polish up.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline fred cesquim

• Captain
    • Fred Cesquim Aeromodelos
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2023, 07:32:14 AM »
I seem to remember someone telling me you can add oil to coloured dope to make it shine, true or just witchcraft?
the last thing oneīs want to have on paint is any oil contamination. this leads to fish eyes and tape ripping
other 2 points is that oil hardly mix to anything and canīt plasticize the covering properly
thereīs taylored products for that.
in my case i use a plasticized primer, so the paint over it will benefit from that.

Online Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2023, 08:50:00 AM »
  If you are going to try castor oil, use medicinal castor oil. It is processed to a much more pure form, and is clear. Dave Brown products sells their product called "Flex-All" and Windy used it in his finishes. I really believe that is all Flex-All is, medicinal castor oil. it looks about the same , and I did a small taste test and it tasted the same to me.. You do not need much, a cap full to a guart of thinned dope I think, and when I use Flex-All, I also use fish eye killer from the auto paint store and had no issues.
  Type at you later,
   Dan  McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here