News:

• April 16, 2024, 05:17:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Old Time Stunt Can Have It's Downfalls. Literally.  (Read 1468 times)

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
Old Time Stunt Can Have It's Downfalls. Literally.
« on: October 06, 2019, 12:34:40 PM »
Well, it happens to the best of us.  LL~

Sooner or later, better later, you damage a model. Sometimes it's beyond repair, but in this case I decided to do the fix.

I do have quite a bit of work ahead of me because of the paint detail and graphics.

All cleaned up with all covering removed to expose the damage. Not all that bad actually.

Let's see, now where do I start?
« Last Edit: October 06, 2019, 12:59:48 PM by Avaiojet »
Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Old Time Stunt Can Have It's Downfalls. Literally.
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2019, 06:23:14 PM »
Alignment the easy way. Eyeballs and straight sticks.

Trailing edge was glued first, temporary spar only pinned in place. That'll be removed to slip ribs over then Epoxied back in place.

Paint stick for a straight edge while LE dries. All 5 minute Epoxy. Good vision makes for better alignment. It's a flyer so I'm not all that fussy. Probably a half hour so far, not counting the removal of the covering and minor fitting.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2019, 04:28:28 PM »
LE, TE and the spar are in place. One thing left is a strip of thin ply on the LE and TE at the joined area. A bit on both sides, just to be sure.

Repairs could eliminate the tip weight.  LL~

Spar is marked for baby-back location, Ribs, 4 of them.
Masking tape is for rib shaping.

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2019, 06:38:35 PM »
Baby-back ribs the easy way. Possibly.  n~

More material than you need between the inside rib and tip rib. Mask off both and sand away with a long "T" bar. You do have to pay attention to what you're doing. I got 10 minutes here with the vacuum underneath.

Thin ply in place at TE and LE. DONE! Bottom side tomorrow.

Moving fast.

Possibly the outboard wing will survive the next cartwheel.  LL~

Offline 944_Jim

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2019, 10:49:16 PM »
Now wait a minute! Not being critical, but flat amazed at the concept. Why not cut new ribs from plan templates or tracings? That is how I repaired my shattered Scientific P-40 wing.

You mean you used the existing/remaining ribs with blue masking tape as "templates" to sand the new ribs to shape on station?
How do you keep from having the sand paper cut through the tape and into the existing ribs/covering?
Or is your sanding stick just long enough to have paper only where the new ribs are, but none where it glides on the existing ribs?
If the latter, then I imagine you short-stroke your labor so the sandpaper doesn't hit the tape.
 I'm trying to understand if/how your method could have saved time. I can definitely see how it would truly capture the appropriate shapes if the ribs wound up only so close to the original stations. I do see how it allows a lot more flexibility if new/scabbed-in spars have to be relocated from stock.
I will say I now have another "tool in the toolbox."

I'm looking forward to seeing the finished repairs. Will you be rebuilding for flying with "battle damage" or trying to restore the finish/appearance? She's looking good. Thanks for sharing!

Offline katana

• Commander
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2019, 02:21:13 AM »
If the 'new' ribs are oversize then the sanding block never touches the existing 'pattern' ribs till they are near enough to size / shape. The addition of the blue masking should I guess equate to the thickness of the sandpaper so new should equal old. Its an interesting technique although i'd rather not have the need to utilise it LOL!

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2019, 08:21:15 AM »
Thanks for the reply.

If this was new construction I would have made the ribs as per the plans. I don't have the plans to this model.

I've used this "tape at each end method" many times over the years for many models.

The Gee Bee Z for example, the kit I bashed had just enough ribs to get by. The ribs I added, for a more scale appearance were oversized, tape prevents the existing ribs from being sanded. Beat the tape up simply replace it. I start out with two layers.

Yes, the "T" bar has sandpaper from end to end and I sand right over the tape area.

A time saver because one can quick cut rip material and stick it in place quickly.

I did the wing to the Stuka this way. The half ribs I added to the Flite Streak 007 I did this way, same with the Mig-3's half ribs. Gotta remember, I'm used to doing this. I'm gifted in all facets of various types of model building.  LL~ LL~ LL~ n~

I will restore the finish as best I can. It's been 4 months since the damage, so heartbroken it took a bit of time for me to get around to the repairs.

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2019, 10:47:07 AM »
WARNING! WARNING! WARNING!

Silk applied using no dope.

"You are about to enter another dimension, a dimension not only of sight and sound but of mind. A journey into a wondrous land of imagination. Next stop, the "No Dope Zone!"

I applied silk to the bottom of this wing dry using only CA. Tight as a drum! Took only minutes AND it's ready for the first coat of dope.

Offline 944_Jim

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2019, 04:56:48 PM »
Still taking notes, and holding my breath. You are definitely moving through reconstruction!

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2019, 05:02:36 PM »
Still taking notes, and holding my breath. You are definitely moving through reconstruction!

Wing top tonight, I'll do it during a commercial so as to not miss any of the show.  LL~

And I discovered I have no Sig dope thinner. This puts a stop to things. Bummer!

Offline 944_Jim

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2020, 08:07:34 PM »
I'm still watching! How is this model looking these days?

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2020, 07:06:39 AM »
I'm still watching! How is this model looking these days?

Jim,

I'll be selling it after the rudder repair then paint. I might just give it away and sell the engine. The McCoy .35 has few flights.

I'm selling everything I have that's IC. The Stuka I'm not sure. I have to examine this model for Electric conversion.

I'm at a standstill with the Gee Bee Z. This model I just might keep IC seeing I have three OS 80-H R/C engines plus spares. The OS 80-H R/C is a brute. This model could be worth the clean-up effort because the wing is removable.

Except for the Gee Bee Z, I'm focusing all my interest towards Electric so I don't change my mind.

I rarely get attached to models, but the Gee Bee Z I really have a fondness for. We go back a long long time. I've had others, this is the smallest. Small is good. Especially take apart small.

Currently I'm waiting on an ESC and Timer for the GBR-3. I have decisions to make.

Thanks for the reply and interest.

Charles

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here