News:

• March 29, 2024, 09:39:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Old SIG Dope - kinda blob like?  (Read 739 times)

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Old SIG Dope - kinda blob like?
« on: September 17, 2021, 05:41:00 PM »
Just opened an old jar of SIG dope and found it like a blob. This is really old but never opened. If I add butyrate thinner will it still dry right?

Best,   DennisT

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Old SIG Dope - kinda blob like?
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2021, 07:50:04 PM »
In my somewhat limited experience, if it's still liquid and sticky, then you can thin it out.  If it's reached the rubbery stage, thinner and stirring will just get you lots of little blobs.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2021, 07:08:46 AM »
Just opened an old jar of SIG dope and found it like a blob. This is really old but never opened. If I add butyrate thinner will it still dry right?

Best,   DennisT

Dennis,

I would toss it, but that's me.

was this for open bays or sheeted areas?

CB
Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline BillP

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2021, 05:14:29 PM »
Hasn't worked for me with Sig or Brodak dope but it was already opened and sat several yrs. I had several cans of Aerogloss purchased in the early 1960s and first opened them in the early 2000s. Looked and worked like new.
Bill P.

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2021, 07:53:25 AM »
After finally getting the jar open (heat gun to the metal top) I tried to see if there was any hope for the Miami Blue dope. Nope, couldn't even push a stir stick. Out it goes. Thanks for the comments.

Best,   DennisT

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here