News:

• April 25, 2024, 09:03:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Ok now what am I doing wrong  (Read 1089 times)

Dwayne

• Trade Count: (0)
Ok now what am I doing wrong
« on: April 24, 2019, 02:43:36 PM »
Hay all, I had the post that  Rustolium 2X clear was not fuel proof. I cleaned up the effected areas and  re shot with 2X and then shot Spraymax 2K clear over, waited 24 hours and put a little 15% on it and almost immediately it reacted and started to peel, this is getting very frustrating. 

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
Re: Ok now what am I doing wrong
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2019, 03:00:36 PM »
Hay all, I had the post that  Rustolium 2X clear was not fuel proof. I cleaned up the effected areas and  re shot with 2X and then shot Spraymax 2K clear over, waited 24 hours and put a little 15% on it and almost immediately it reacted and started to peel, this is getting very frustrating.

Mix or out of an aerosol can?
Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Dwayne

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2019, 04:39:35 PM »

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2019, 07:45:34 PM »
  Either the Rustoleum wasn't thoroughly dry, the 2K stuff not adequately compounded, and an incompatibility of the 2K stuff to anything enamel. You should have just went with the 2K stuff and forgot the 2X  Rustoleum clear. It's kind of redundant even if it did work.  I don't recall ever hearing that the Rustoleum 2X is worth using at all.
   Type at you later,
    Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline Chancey Chorney

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2019, 09:38:32 PM »
I personally use the Minwax Polyurethane Clear Gloss in a can and it does work for me with my 1/2a high nitro planes. As well, it does not 'yellow' light colors, even white. Now only sold at Lowes, as they bought Minwax.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Minwax-11-5-fl-oz-Gloss-Oil-based-Polyurethane/999913663

Offline Chancey Chorney

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2019, 09:39:04 PM »
And as a matter of fact, I just sprayed my Ringmaster Jr. today with it.

Dwayne

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2019, 04:51:45 AM »
  Either the Rustoleum wasn't thoroughly dry, the 2K stuff not adequately compounded, and an incompatibility of the 2K stuff to anything enamel. You should have just went with the 2K stuff and forgot the 2X  Rustoleum clear. It's kind of redundant even if it did work.  I don't recall ever hearing that the Rustoleum 2X is worth using at all.
   Type at you later,
    Dan McEntee

I had already covered the plane with 2X and didn't want to strip the whole plane and start again,  Spraymax 2K was suggested.

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2019, 08:42:17 PM »

I had already covered the plane with 2X and didn't want to strip the whole plane and start again,  Spraymax 2K was suggested.

Just curious, Dwayne. Can you tell that the paint has actually been catalyzed when you activate the little dodad on the bottom of the can? It seems to me that you are completely blind as to what happens when you do that and just have to trust it. Once I get my collective building act back together again, I'll be going the Nason route and spot applications. I've seen other guys results and if you don't have an airbrush or other painting equipment, you could probably use one of those reusable aerosol dispensers  that some guys are having good luck with. Then you can have the best of both worlds.
   Type at you later,
    Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2019, 03:05:43 PM »
I would point out that no paint is fuel proof. Many are fuel resistant to one degree or another. Lacquer is somewhat fuel resistant. Kinda. Catalyzed polyurethane clears are more fuel resistant than just about any other paint but will succumb to raw fuel.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here