News:

• April 16, 2024, 01:08:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: No smell Finish  (Read 2485 times)

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
No smell Finish
« on: March 21, 2022, 11:01:39 PM »
I am having to build in my office so smell is an issue.  Does anybody know of a finishing product that doesn't smell too much or dissipates quickly?  I am all electric, so fuel proofing is not an issue. 

Ken
AMA 15382
If it is not broke you are not trying hard enough.
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline kevin king

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: No smell Finish
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2022, 01:05:21 AM »
I love the look smell and feel of a newly buffed out dope finish. Kind of like a new car smell but different. 😁

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2022, 06:40:47 AM »
I love the look smell and feel of a newly buffed out dope finish. Kind of like a new car smell but different. 😁
So do I but, Unfortunately, the other offices on my floor don't share your passion. :'(

Ken
AMA 15382
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2022, 08:00:25 AM »
Ken,
The System Three that Brent posted looks good for electric kinda like clear coat/base coat. It seems to be available in reasonable size amounts. If you want to spray it look into the Preval System at Home Depot or ACE hardware many places have them.

If you want to go the rattle can route look at the Montana Colors or Liquitex from art stores they are both water base again like clear coat/base coat and will need a top clear. I have use KBS Diamond Clear (single component clear in rattle can) with them and had very good results. just do a light dust coat then a final coat not to thick and it is great even for IC.

Best,     DennisT

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2022, 08:19:18 AM »
Polyspan applied with ModPoge then covered with SLC is odorless, light weight and tough. For color use park flyer covering film.
Think S.M.A.L.L. y'all and, it's all good, CL, FF and RC!

DesignMan
 BTW, Dracula Sucks!  A closed mouth gathers no feet!

Offline Mark wood

• 22 supporter
  • Captain
  • I'm here purely for the fun of it.
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2022, 10:26:59 AM »
https://www.systemthree.com/collections/paint-varnish/products/pennant-topside-paint

https://uvlsclears.com/uvls-clears
https://uvlsclears.com/scenix
https://autoborne.com/
https://wickedairbrushcolors.com/

Brent

Have you actually used any of these on models? I've used the System Three on some projects and wasn't totally impressed with it as it has a slightly milky appearance. Not too bad but present. The finish buffed out nicely though and is super tough. I'm curious about the weight and cure time experience. Waterborne finishes seem to be the way to go health concern wise.

Life is good AMA 1488
Why do we fly? We are practicing, you might say, what it means to be alive...  -Richard Bach
“Physics is like sex: sure, it may give some practical results, but that’s not why we do it.” – Richard P. Feynman

Online Brent Williams

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Fancher Handles - Presented by Brent Williams
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2022, 11:17:40 AM »
System Three manufactured the water based Nelson Hobby Paint.  It has it's challenges, but it has its advantages as well.  This is the newer formulation since the Nelson era.  When used with the crosslinker, it's quite tough stuff.

- Wicked paint is really great if you play by its rules. There are a ton of color options available.
- Autoborne base coat is quite opaque for use under Wicked.
- The UVLS/Scenix stuff is pretty tough stuff overall and is designed for outdoor use. 

I think these water based clears will never rival the 2k solvent clears for clarity, but they are generally a good option for the builder who is needing a low/no smell solution for various reasons.

Brent

Have you actually used any of these on models? I've used the System Three on some projects and wasn't totally impressed with it as it has a slightly milky appearance. Not too bad but present. The finish buffed out nicely though and is super tough. I'm curious about the weight and cure time experience. Waterborne finishes seem to be the way to go health concern wise.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2022, 12:06:07 PM by Brent Williams »
Laser-cut, "Ted Fancher Precision-Pro" Hard Point Handle Kits are available again.  PM for info.
https://stunthanger.com/smf/brent-williams'-fancher-handles-and-cl-parts/ted-fancher's-precision-pro-handle-kit-by-brent-williams-information/

Offline Gerald Arana

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2022, 04:06:34 PM »
I am having to build in my office so smell is an issue.  Does anybody know of a finishing product that doesn't smell too much or dissipates quickly?  I am all electric, so fuel proofing is not an issue. 

Ken

Ken: Monocoat. No smell and looks great if done correctly.

Jerry

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2022, 04:51:13 PM »
Ken: Monocoat. No smell and looks great if done correctly.

Jerry
50/50 I will do the wings that way.  Fuselage, not so much.

Ken
AMA 15382
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2022, 11:26:05 AM »
After seeing a plane that the late Carl Schoope did many years ago that to look at was flawless in my opinion.  It was done completely with MonoKote and you could not see the seams or overlaps.  It takes time and patience to do properly and being electric you don't have to worry about fuel creeping under the seams  and edges.  I've done several planes using the mylar finish both over and under Poy-span and Doc paper.  Ihave also done the mylar over poly-fabric from the fabric strores.  If you look through the finish section of this forum you will see some of my planes.  The best friends of mine enjoyed not having the dope odor in the shop too.  Rest in peace Sandy and  Teddy.  Still have Prissy keeping watch over me. D>K
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2022, 08:03:32 AM »
Wow! Mylar over fabric must be really bulletproof! Did the weave show through at all? How about a photo?   H^^

DesignMan

Offline Steve Berry

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2022, 08:53:40 PM »
Polyspan applied with ModPoge then covered with SLC is odorless, light weight and tough. For color use park flyer covering film.

Resurrecting this topic....which version of ModPoge did you use? I, too, am looking for an odorless finishing system beyond moneycote for electrics.

Offline Motorman

• Admiral
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2022, 09:12:57 AM »
I did an adhesion test with polyspan a while back. Polycrylic, nitrate dope and CA glue were about the same but modpoge was a fail. It just barely sticks. ymmv

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2022, 02:21:12 PM »
I did an adhesion test with polyspan a while back. Polycrylic, nitrate dope and CA glue were about the same but modpoge was a fail. It just barely sticks. ymmv
Can you elaborate?  I am stuck having to cover in an envoronment that will not allow any of the things you mentioned.  When you say barely, does that mean you can't seal the edges then shrink the Polyspan?  Did you try painting the wood surface first with ModPoge?  What about after the polyspan is on.  Is it a decent finish?

Ken
AMA 15382
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2022, 02:43:13 PM »
Resurrecting this topic....which version of ModPoge did you use? I, too, am looking for an odorless finishing system beyond moneycote for electrics.

I have used gloss and flat ModPoge. No noticeable difference simce you are using it as an adhesive, not finish.

The wood needs to be well coated. The first coats tend to soak into the wood. Then build up an adhesive layer. Let it thoroughly dry so the moisture doesn’t resist reactivating. It sticks like (oops) glue if done right. Get the iron temp up, too.

And, keep solvent handy to clean the iron. Can be messy stuff!

DesignMan

Offline jfv

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2022, 02:47:46 PM »
Ken:

I've been using EZE-Kote (EK) from Horizon Hobbies.  It's a single part resin that is water based and it is fuel resistant.  Odor is not an issue.  Formulated for model building, it is intended for use applying fiberglass.  Similar to Polycrylic but can be sanded in about 30 minutes.  Sands great by the way.  There are some tricks to using it.  If used straight out of the bottle, the water base can warp the structure (Ask me how I know).  I begin with a very thin mixture of about 15% EZE-Kote and 85% alcohol, painting both side of the part at once.  As the surface builds up you can reduce the alcohol.  After sealing the surface, add some Zinc Stearate and it makes a good filler.  Seal after filling with a thin coat of the EK and your ready for paint.  For covering open bays, I first cover just the open bays with SLC film, with about 3/4 inch border.  I then cover the whole surface (wing, stab, etc.) with silkspan using the thinned EK to attach the silkspan to both the wood frame and the SLC at the same time.

Jim
Jim Vigani

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2022, 03:12:16 PM »
I've been using EZE-Kote (EK) from Horizon Hobbies.  It's a single part resin that is water based and it is fuel resistant.  Odor is not an issue.
When you say "Not an Issue" do you mean that it does not have any odor?  I will be painting (cannot spray) inside an office where no fumes will be tolerated, even if it smells good!  Even CA has to be used sparingly so it doesn't get into the air filtration system.

I am really after finishing the fuselage.  I can MonoKote the wing and stab.

Ken

Ken
AMA 15382
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline jfv

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2022, 03:38:21 PM »
No odor to speak of.  I brush it on.
Jim Vigani

Offline Steve Berry

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2022, 09:08:51 PM »
One thing I've been thinking about trying is this.
Zpoxy finishing epoxy spread on raw balsa surface, squeegee off as much as possible, wipe off the rest (like for sheeting a wing), let it cure completely. Then come back and put 2 coats of polycrylic water-based polyurethane, and with the 3rd coat cover with silkspan/doctors paper (basically using polycrylic like dope). Fill with a few more coats of polycrylic, sand well, and move on to colors (marine top coat cones to mind).
Anyone try this? Will it work and be sort of lightweight? This would be for an electric plane.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Offline Craig Beswick

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2022, 10:40:45 PM »
One thing I've been thinking about trying is this.
Zpoxy finishing epoxy spread on raw balsa surface, squeegee off as much as possible, wipe off the rest (like for sheeting a wing), let it cure completely. Then come back and put 2 coats of polycrylic water-based polyurethane, and with the 3rd coat cover with silkspan/doctors paper (basically using polycrylic like dope). Fill with a few more coats of polycrylic, sand well, and move on to colors (marine top coat cones to mind).
Anyone try this? Will it work and be sort of lightweight? This would be for an electric plane.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Steve,
I have been using ZPoxy with 1/2 ounce fibreglass cloth on fuselage, stabiliser, elevators and rudder. Sand off fill with lacquer based auto primer, sand off, repeat as necessary, then lacquer based auto colour.
I don't know what polycrylic is but 5 coats, before colour sounds like a lot.

Wings, I ZPoxy, sand off, dope on silkspan, dope to tighten it up then primer etc.

Last model was a Vector 40. 7 ounce finish from bare wood.

I hope this helps
Craig
AUS 87123
"The Ninja"

Offline phil c

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2022, 06:08:15 PM »
I've had good luck building planes with a "complete" surface- no open bays for simplicity, or something like this:

The model is finished with a "complete surface"- no open bays, etc.  I use balsa and white styrofoam.  Various ways of balsa and other techniques work fine also.  Seal the surfaces with a couple of light coats of primer, sanding between coats to get a uniform color.
Add 1 light coat of white where needed.  Put on one thin coat of colors(Rustoleum colors applied very lightly and evenly work well).  Then cover with thin, clear polyester  film when the paint is dry.

This makes a light, fuel proof finish pretty quickly.  The Rustoleum does usually take about 7 days to really get rid of the solvents, so don't apply film over it for at least a week.
phil Cartier

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here