News:

• April 18, 2024, 10:20:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Vinyl decals  (Read 1659 times)

Offline steve pagano

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
Vinyl decals
« on: July 04, 2017, 07:59:26 PM »

Hi all I have a quick question I recently placed some small vinyl decals on my latest airplane and after a quick clearcoat they seem to be somewhat peeling up .  Does anyone have any advice on how to  leave them back down nice and smooth ?
Success isn't a destination.It's a journey!!!!!
A.M.A. 820-823

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
Re: Vinyl decals
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2017, 05:32:45 PM »
Steve,

I'd like to see a photo if possible?

How old were the vinyl graphics? Did you apply them wet?

Is the color printer's ink or opaque one color vinyl?

Could have applied them last, over the clear?

What clear did you use?

If you have duplicates of the graphic or if you can get another, you could carefully sand it down then apply a new one over the old sanded one.

Clear again or not.

CB

Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline steve pagano

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2017, 02:44:26 AM »
I apologize for the long delay in the reply I do not know what type of ink was used or paper for the decal I purchase them from an online company called Sticker Shop. Hopefully I can post a picture through my phone. It's all brodak base and clear
A.M.A. 820-823

Offline steve pagano

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2017, 02:51:04 AM »
Another pic
A.M.A. 820-823

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2017, 06:26:23 PM »
I apologize for the long delay in the reply I do not know what type of ink was used or paper for the decal I purchase them from an online company called Sticker Shop. Hopefully I can post a picture through my phone. It's all brodak base and clear

Steve,

I just saw your reply.

Not bad looking stickers.

I don't know what other sticker companies recommend, some suggest no clear at all.

I honestly try to avoid making printed stickers for a few reasons, but when I do, I make sure they get cleared only with a 2 part auto clear which is all I use.

From your photos, the stickers look reasonably good.

Only suggestion I could offer is a light dusting of clear over the sticker at first, followed by a bit more heavier second coat. This might help?

CB
Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2017, 07:06:48 PM »

Hi all I have a quick question I recently placed some small vinyl decals on my latest airplane and after a quick clearcoat they seem to be somewhat peeling up .  Does anyone have any advice on how to  leave them back down nice and smooth ?

Hi Steve;
      If you are looking to try and save what you have, try pushing the decals back down with some kind of release paper, or anything that can keep away from the edge of the decal. Practice apply thin CA with a wire applicator dipped into a bottle of thin CA. You can make one by taking some .015" music wire and bend it to look something like a skinny cotter pin. Make the two wires that are parallel with each other have about a .015" gap. When you did it into the CA, it will run up the wire by capillary action. Then, when you touch it to a surface, the surface tension will make the glue run back down the wire and onto the surface. just a drop will run along the edge of the decal a long way, again by capillary action. Hold in place for a count of ten and see how it holds. I would imagine you'll see a puff of light smoke when it kicks. Use too much and you'll see it, and maybe wrinkle the decal with the heat generated when the glue kicks. I would practice this technique until you figure out just how much to get on the applicator. I have seen applicators like this made form sewing needles also. You can try leaving the eye in tact, or grind the top off to make a fork like affair. It will be tedious, but in thinking about this, I think it's your best chance. if successful, then you can clear over them again carefully knowing what you know now. You could also try the same thing with some thin contact cement. Flow it under the lifted section and let dry, then dry working them back down. I wouldn't think it would attack the decal material.  Good luck with it and I hope it works out well for you, after seeing the what the decals are representing.
  Type at you later,
   Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here