News:

• May 06, 2024, 07:16:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Canopies & Decals  (Read 1551 times)

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Canopies & Decals
« on: April 23, 2015, 09:53:08 AM »
Do water-slide decals work on clear canopies?

If I could get a water-slide decal to stick to the inside of a canopy without wrinkling, would it stay stuck for the life of the plane?

If I could get a water-slide decal to stick to the outside of a canopy without wrinkling, is there a clear coat that would protect the decal and not ruin the canopy?
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
Re: Canopies & Decals
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2015, 11:04:37 AM »
Tim,

I use water slide decals and usually paint over them with a catalyzed polyurethane. You can use clear butyrate but you have to be careful to go easy and lay on the clear in thin coats that is not overly thinned or you can melt the decal (or canopy). I usually shoot topcoat over the canopy. Makes it easier to blend the edges of the paint. So yes, you can put a decal on the canopy (or, I suppose, you could put it on the inside and shoot some clear on the inside over it to lock it down) they shoot clear over the top of it.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2015, 12:51:53 PM »
Do water-slide decals work on clear canopies?

If I could get a water-slide decal to stick to the inside of a canopy without wrinkling, would it stay stuck for the life of the plane?

If I could get a water-slide decal to stick to the outside of a canopy without wrinkling, is there a clear coat that would protect the decal and not ruin the canopy?

Tim,

I'll take a stab at this one.

Bet you're looking to hlave the electrical track with the explosion areas that you see in the top of jet aircraft canopies. Did I guess it?

I actually provide them for some of the R/C jets, in a couple of materials.

If that's what you're looking for.
Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2015, 12:53:35 PM »
Actually I want to make up miniaturized versions of the AMA window sticker and the window sticker for my Dad's old company.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2015, 04:48:12 PM »
Actually I want to make up miniaturized versions of the AMA window sticker and the window sticker for my Dad's old company.

Tim,

Interesting idea.  H^^

Scan the art and scale it down. I would apply the decal on the outside. Just replace it when need be.

There are printers that print white. Forgot the name. HO guys know about them. So I'm told.

Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here