News:

• March 29, 2024, 09:20:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Monokote/dope question  (Read 1495 times)

Offline Tim Chenevert

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
Monokote/dope question
« on: March 12, 2018, 07:07:04 PM »
I want to paint the center section of my new build with Brodak butyrate dope in cub yellow and cover the wings with Monokote. Will the Monokote adhere to the painted edges or should I put the Monokote down and then paint up to it? Thanks, Tim
Baton Rouge Bi-Liners
AMA 179681

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Monokote/dope question
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2018, 09:12:41 PM »
Monocoat will stick, but I don't know if the dope will stand up to shrinking it.  I'd use Rustoleum, but I'm cheap.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2018, 09:58:55 AM »
Monocoat will stick, but I don't know if the dope will stand up to shrinking it.  I'd use Rustoleum, but I'm cheap.

I am in the same situation.  "Back in the Day (70's)" nothing but Dope would stand up to the nitro.  Are things different now?  Is there a topcoat or something?  I would love to use Rustoleum if nothing more than the color selection.  They have several lines, which one do you use?

THANKS - Ken Culbertson
AMA 15382
If it is not broke you are not trying hard enough.
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline Fredvon4

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Central Texas
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2018, 11:31:53 AM »
Most Rustoleum...or Ace, or Krylon Enamels are fairly fuel proof ONCE fully cured... 7 to 10 days

The metallic and clears in rattle cans are not very fuel proof

Min wax Oil and water based Poluy urethanes are fairly fuel proof   again once fully cured

I have a few profile stunt planes with Mono kote type covered wings and Red/or Black/or Blue Rustoleum Fuselages and tails....10 to 25% nitro fuels do not faze them any

I do not add weight with clear coats on the Rustoleum painted parts... with proper balsa / ply prep, filling, DC 540 primer (sanded, auto spot putty) I lay down one or two coats semi dry... after the recommended wait lay on one --Maybe two ---heavy coats...  the final finish is shiny enough for me

Sport fly.... 3 yard stand off judging BY ME...grin
"A good scare teaches more than good advice"

Fred von Gortler IV

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2018, 12:25:46 PM »
Put the MonoKote on first.  Then mask,  rough up the MonoKote  and spray dope or use Rustoleum.   MonoKote will not stick to painted surfaces for me any way. D>K
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Tim Chenevert

• Commander
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2018, 08:50:27 PM »
Thanks John. I will lay the Monokote on first then paint the rest like you said. Tim
Baton Rouge Bi-Liners
AMA 179681

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here