News:

• April 17, 2024, 11:20:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Micafilm covering - with Mod Podge  (Read 1060 times)

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Micafilm covering - with Mod Podge
« on: June 03, 2023, 08:05:53 AM »
I'm recovering my 2015 El Diablo and want to use Micafilm. I tried this before using Balsarite to attach it and it was a disaster, give up and did K&S silk. The silk was fine for 7 years then just started splitting for no reason. Did some patches but last fall at the KOI it split twice and now needs recover. I had read that some have used Mod Podge with Polyspan and SLC and was wondering if anyone has tried it with the Micafilm particularly over flat fixed flaps (the El D has those big sweeping flaps)? This is where I had trouble the first time as it would stick and wrinkle and not allow repositioning.

With the Mod Podge do you apply the MP first, let it dry, then iron on the covering? Also is the Mod Pod just watered down White Glue?

Best,   DennisT

Offline Motorman

• Admiral
Re: Micafilm covering - with Mod Podge
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2023, 11:44:34 AM »
Mod Podge is a very weak adhesive. I did test patches with several glue systems and Mod Podge was a dismal distant last place. People have used it but I wouldn't recomend it.

MM

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2023, 05:05:24 PM »
I'm recovering my 2015 El Diablo and want to use Micafilm. I tried this before using Balsarite to attach it and it was a disaster, give up and did K&S silk. The silk was fine for 7 years then just started splitting for no reason. Did some patches but last fall at the KOI it split twice and now needs recover. I had read that some have used Mod Podge with Polyspan and SLC and was wondering if anyone has tried it with the Micafilm particularly over flat fixed flaps (the El D has those big sweeping flaps)? This is where I had trouble the first time as it would stick and wrinkle and not allow repositioning.

With the Mod Podge do you apply the MP first, let it dry, then iron on the covering? Also is the Mod Pod just watered down White Glue?

Best,   DennisT
Dennis, let me pass on my recent experiences.  I have used it to attach Silkspan, carbon veil and as an undercoat to MonoKote.  It seems to work best when no heat is involved.  It doubles the adhesiveness of MonoKote but at a price.  It seems to expand and cause all kinds of bumps.  If you put it on with a gun it goes on well until you have a joint under the covering.  Simply put it sticks too well.  I would not use it again under any non-porous covering.  On my Endgame build I planned on painting the fuselage and applied several coats of mod podge, sanding just like it was dope.  It was fully filled and smooth silk. Then at the last minute I was forced to cover the fuselage with MonoKote.  When the Mod Poge heated it exposed the grain.  It looks great from 5' and crap any closer.  It is not a Nats plane so I left it.

Ken
AMA 15382
If it is not broke you are not trying hard enough.
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2023, 10:51:22 PM »
I have used Mod-Podge to adhere base covering(silk span, coverite, poly-ester cloth and poly span) with none of those issues.  Don ot seal any of the open spaces.  I have ironed on MonoKote with no problems with the base under it.  Iron only needs to be hot enough to adhere to base coat.  When I redid the finish on my DOC Special, I had a hard time getting to the covering off the plane.  Had to do a lot of sanding.  As I was wanting to lighten the plane I went with straight MonoKote.  Only saved maybe 6 ounces.  Also I let Mod-Podge dry and also just enough heat to activate.  I don't think it is the same as white glue, but do I know. D>K
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Online Lauri Malila

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2023, 12:52:05 PM »
« Last Edit: June 12, 2023, 11:01:28 PM by Lauri Malila »

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2023, 01:40:42 PM »
Dennis - here is a picture of what Mod Pauge did when heated by the monokote gun.  These little puppies are all over.  The airframe was sanded "baby butt" smooth (I believe it was 800 grit) before applying the monokote.  They appear to be where the Mod Pauge formed bubbles.  They are not air pockets.  There is something under them. 

Ken
AMA 15382
If it is not broke you are not trying hard enough.
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2023, 03:00:05 PM »
Thanks for the inputs. Micafilm I felt is like polyspan with SLC over it. Problem is that it is sealed and whatever adhesive is used there could be gassing as it is heated to activated. Seems letting any adhesive sit and dry for what a weekish? Would this reduce the bubbles? How about using the old TopFlite woodpecker to prep the wood. Could this reduce the bubbles?

Best,    DennisT

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here