News:

• March 28, 2024, 09:11:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Metallic Paint Additive  (Read 1138 times)

Offline Harold Brewer

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Lieutenant
Metallic Paint Additive
« on: May 07, 2021, 09:17:17 AM »
I'm getting ready to paint my latest project (Fierce Arrow 875),  The paint I am going to use needs something to jazz it up.  Are there any metallic powders that can be added to the paint to add some "glisten" to the apperance or give it a metallic look?

Regards.

Harold

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
Re: Metallic Paint Additive
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2021, 12:12:40 PM »
I'm getting ready to paint my latest project (Fierce Arrow 875),  The paint I am going to use needs something to jazz it up.  Are there any metallic powders that can be added to the paint to add some "glisten" to the apperance or give it a metallic look?

Regards.

Harold

Yes, there's plenty of that stuff, do a search on line.

Keep in mind, you'll be adding weight and will probably need a fuel proof clear coat.

They already have metallic paints.

Another thing, depending on the size of the "flakes," you may  need a special tip for your spray gun.
Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline George Truett

• 2018 Supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2021, 01:00:13 PM »
Here is one of the companies selling it:  https://usa.hemway.com/collections/automotive  I used to use the same type product from PPG years ago, it took several heavy clear coats on top before you could polish it.

Offline Steve Berry

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2021, 04:25:43 PM »
Keep in mind that, per Windy (and probably many others, too), if you spray metal flakes, you better have a dedicated gun beforehand, because you'll certainly have one later. Apparently the stuff never gets completely cleaned out of the gun. Same principle behind a dedicated clear gun that never sprays colors.

Steve

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2021, 07:59:14 PM »
Keep in mind that, per Windy (and probably many others, too), if you spray metal flakes, you better have a dedicated gun beforehand, because you'll certainly have one later. Apparently the stuff never gets completely cleaned out of the gun. Same principle behind a dedicated clear gun that never sprays colors.

Steve

Yep, excellent advice.  y1
Narrowly averting disaster since 1964! 

Wayne Willey
Albert Lea, MN U.S.A. IC C/L Aircraft Modeler, Ex AMA member

Offline EddyR

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2021, 03:42:40 PM »
 I painter a lot of models in the 1960-70’s by adding silver to the color. I did one Juno  about 15 years ago and it came out super metallic.
Ed
Locust NC 40 miles from the Huntersville field

Online Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2021, 08:20:04 PM »
   The silver trick is pretty effective. And I'll mention that there is a difference between metallic and metal flake. Adding metal flake to stunt model finish may not look "right" to you because the flake may be too big. Adding just some silver or even gold pigment to your color or clear may give you a more subtle effect for a model. There was a guy from Iowa that we used to see at the SIG contest, Sam Scirota (may be mis-spelling the last name) and he did custom car paint jobs for a living and did this effect well. Sometimes he used ground glass and it looked awesome but almost impossible to use that and keep the finish light. When I left my last job to retire, I brought home some additive that they would put in ink for silk screening shirts for a metallic effect. It was a tall container, maybe a quart or so, and was as light as micro balloons.  They were getting ready to close up operations and I was clearing out and pitching anything that wasn't going to be sold off, so I was able to bring it home. There is next to nothing on the label so I have no idea exactly what it is, but it's plenty sparkly!! I'll try that on something some day soon I hope.
   Type at you later,
    Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here