Building Tips and technical articles. > Paint and finishing

Metallic Paint Additive

(1/2) > >>

Harold Brewer:
I'm getting ready to paint my latest project (Fierce Arrow 875),  The paint I am going to use needs something to jazz it up.  Are there any metallic powders that can be added to the paint to add some "glisten" to the apperance or give it a metallic look?

Regards.

Harold

Avaiojet:

--- Quote from: Harold Brewer on May 07, 2021, 09:17:17 AM ---I'm getting ready to paint my latest project (Fierce Arrow 875),  The paint I am going to use needs something to jazz it up.  Are there any metallic powders that can be added to the paint to add some "glisten" to the apperance or give it a metallic look?

Regards.

Harold

--- End quote ---

Yes, there's plenty of that stuff, do a search on line.

Keep in mind, you'll be adding weight and will probably need a fuel proof clear coat.

They already have metallic paints.

Another thing, depending on the size of the "flakes," you may  need a special tip for your spray gun.

George Truett:
Here is one of the companies selling it:  https://usa.hemway.com/collections/automotive  I used to use the same type product from PPG years ago, it took several heavy clear coats on top before you could polish it.

Steve Berry:
Keep in mind that, per Windy (and probably many others, too), if you spray metal flakes, you better have a dedicated gun beforehand, because you'll certainly have one later. Apparently the stuff never gets completely cleaned out of the gun. Same principle behind a dedicated clear gun that never sprays colors.

Steve

wwwarbird:

--- Quote from: Steve Berry on May 07, 2021, 04:25:43 PM ---Keep in mind that, per Windy (and probably many others, too), if you spray metal flakes, you better have a dedicated gun beforehand, because you'll certainly have one later. Apparently the stuff never gets completely cleaned out of the gun. Same principle behind a dedicated clear gun that never sprays colors.

Steve

--- End quote ---

Yep, excellent advice.  y1

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version