News:

• March 28, 2024, 04:35:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Metal Paint Cans  (Read 1849 times)

Offline Steve Dwyer

• 2020 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
Metal Paint Cans
« on: April 15, 2021, 06:58:29 AM »
Has anyone found a good source (economical) for pint and quart size metal paint cans with lid for storing mixed paints?

Steve

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Metal Paint Cans
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2021, 07:26:23 AM »
  That has come up before, and I believe there are a couple of internet sources. Fredvon4 posted a good source if I remember correctly that he was happy with. Word a search carefully and it should come up. I don't think it was more that a year or two ago.
   Type at you later,
    Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline Steve Dwyer

• 2020 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2021, 06:45:55 PM »
Motorman,

I did google a number of sources as well. Another member suggested trying a nearby auto paint store for their empties. I tried salsa glass jars but they have a rubber like material inside the cover that breaks down with the solvent allowing the paint to dry out, same would happen with glass canning jars.

I have some options thanks for the help.

Steve

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2021, 07:30:15 PM »
Motorman,

I did google a number of sources as well. Another member suggested trying a nearby auto paint store for their empties. I tried salsa glass jars but they have a rubber like material inside the cover that breaks down with the solvent allowing the paint to dry out, same would happen with glass canning jars.

I have some options thanks for the help.

Steve

If you have some decent jars, just make a new gasket for the lid. cereal box material will cut easy and crush a bit when closed and create a better seal/ I have found that pickle jars hold mixed dope for a reasonable time, but not forever. Whatever they use for a seal is resistant to vinegar which is an acid, so dope doesn't seem to bother it. Peanut butter jars work well also. if you think it will need to last long term, make a new gasket for the lid. Just a dab of some glue will hold it in the lid. For jars about 4 ounces, Badger Air Brush offers those new and they are the same size as Brodak and  SIG dope jars. Look at what they use for a gasket in the lid.
   If you are still thinking can, keep trying a search. I remember it as being a pretty thorough thread on where to get them and what kind, lined or unlined and such.
    Type at you later,

Type at you later,
  Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline Steve Dwyer

• 2020 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2021, 05:32:44 PM »
I like Dan's pickle jar suggestion, now I only have to put out my feelers to all family members to eat more pickles. Plus you can easily see the condition of the stored paint vs a steel can.

Thanks for the inputs !

Steve

Offline 944_Jim

• 24 supporter
  • Captain

Offline Mike Morrow

• 24 supporter
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2021, 02:07:04 AM »
Foil works also

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Offline 944_Jim

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2021, 12:16:51 PM »
MM x2;
Thanks!

I'll keep that in mind. I'm about to order a case so I can divvie up my antique AeroGloss.

Offline Brian Stas

• 23 supporter
  • New Pilot
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2021, 06:35:07 PM »
Auto body shops buys gallon, quart, and pint cans by the case.  Auto parts stores that mix paint IE: NAPA also have them.

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2021, 08:52:49 PM »

I usually just stop in and get them at my local Sullivan paint store. Might seem odd, but they actually have empty ones to put the paint in that they mix for customers.  :##

I imagine anyplace that mixes paint would sell new empties as well, hardware stores, auto supply stores, etc...

Narrowly averting disaster since 1964! 

Wayne Willey
Albert Lea, MN U.S.A. IC C/L Aircraft Modeler, Ex AMA member

Offline Steve Dwyer

• 2020 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2021, 12:31:08 PM »
Well it turns out NAPA Auto Paints stores sell new steel cans reasonably cheap. I bought a quantity of pint and quart cans for $.82 and $2.02 each. I still have a good quantity of clear glass one pint Salsa jars I can use for color blending while trying the foil or thin cardboard seal ideas before storing in the steel.

NOW another question, what is the best way to meter paints to achieve color blends? I have tried some cheap pipettes with little success as the paint covers the graduations making it difficult to get repeatability. What's the best method in short of spooning it out and having a mess. I have a paint ratio  mixing cup that works great for two or more proportions but can anyone recommend a device for accurately dripping in ounces or cc's for color blending?

Steve

Offline Fredvon4

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Central Texas
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2021, 05:01:01 AM »
Since Dan mentioned it.....

I do not have a close paint shop like Sherwin Williams close so I mail order a lot of things.

This company had what I wanted at an acceptable price

https://www.thecarycompany.com/containers/metal
"A good scare teaches more than good advice"

Fred von Gortler IV

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here