News:

• March 28, 2024, 08:16:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Masking Tape / Technique  (Read 935 times)

Offline Peter in Fairfax, VA

• 23 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Masking Tape / Technique
« on: March 29, 2019, 07:33:21 AM »
I want to paint some stripes on a plane, a single color on silkspan covered wings.  Similar to Normandy invasion stripes, but even simpler, a single color.  I'm using Brodak dope, painting an orange over Piper Blue.

My thinking was to use the newer green "Frog" masking tape from Home Depot, seal the edges with clear in case it bleeds, then spray the second color, and finally peel off the masking tape, simply, after letting the paint dry an hour.

What do you think of this idea?

thanks,

Peter

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
Re: Masking Tape / Technique
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2019, 11:59:07 AM »
The 3m blue painters tape works well and doesn't bleed even without clear seal. Get the stuff that has the orange printing on it. It's the fine line version.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Peter in Fairfax, VA

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2019, 12:42:26 PM »
OK, I may even have some 3M blue around here already.  Glad to hear you've had good luck with it, no need to seal it, no need to cut the paint film with a razor blade or similar.  I think this is the model of tape you suggest:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/3M-ScotchBlue-0-94-in-x-60-yds-Walls-and-Wood-Floors-Painter-s-Tape-with-Edge-Lock-2080EL-24N/100166232

Not 100% related to my concern, but I used 3M blue to attach a sign to my car.  After an hour in the sun, a lot of the tape's glue transferred to the car.  Came off with isopropanol, the areas I saw on the first cleaning.  The glue's clear, so it's not that bad, just a little sticky and rough.

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2019, 01:13:13 PM »
Car paint stores have good tape.  Take money.  See Randy's and Alan's recommendations on the tape thread on the Open Forum before they noticed that Mike wasn't asking about masking tape.
The Jive Combat Team
Making combat and stunt great again

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2019, 02:13:23 PM »

The yellow Frog Tape works very well, and for a while now has become my new favorite. My old favorite, the 3M blue with the orange lettering like Randy mentioned, also works well.
Narrowly averting disaster since 1964! 

Wayne Willey
Albert Lea, MN U.S.A. IC C/L Aircraft Modeler, Ex AMA member

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here