Building Tips and technical articles. > Paint and finishing

Masking Starfire

(1/1)

Eric Viglione:
As requested in the other thread in the main forum, here is the sequence of events for painting and masking Starfire. I'd really be interested in some feedback, if this is how others do it, if I'm nuts (entirely possible) or what. I'm kinda on my own as far as painting goes around here, so I just do what I can.

This is a photo essay more or less, and I'll try to post the pic's in proper order.

Pic1 shows glassed front fuse, silkspanned rest
Pic2 shows fillets etc
Pic3 shows primed & sanded
Pic3b shows wheel pants
Pic4 shows white base coat wet sanded out before tape with printout
Pic4b shows my Photoshop over plans, this was the scheme I created and tried to stick to
Pic5 shows completed tape job before paint
Pic6a & 6b shows detail of how I do stencil mask. I make a peek-a-boo window around the vinyl mask
Pic7 shows bottom tape
Pic8 shows yellow shot on top
Pic9 shows yellow shot on side
Pic10 shows orange shot top view
Pic11 shows orange shot bottom
Pic12 shows blue shot top view
Pic13 shows blue shot side view
Pic14 shows bottom tape pulled
Pic15 shows top tape pulled

I basically cover up painted area's as I go, starting with the lightest colors first, so any overspray will be covered by the next darker color. I used a 5 ounce HVLP touch up gun for colors like the orange & blue because there was a lot of it, but used an airbrush for the yellow and black.

Thanks for looking,
EricV

Randy Powell:
Eric,

As a programmer friend of mine said to me when I asked him to look at some programming code I did for MS Access said, "Well, that's one way to do it". Point was, you do things in a methodology that makes sense to you. Of course there are other ways to do it and when you see someone else's method, you might take an idea away that you can incorporate into your own process. But in the end you do what works for you. Planning a trim scheme is like a lot of things, you come up with an idea then sweat how to execute it. If it works, you were successful.

I do like that overall method. It puts the least amount of paint on the plane (something I couldn't do what this last plane due to use of transparent colors). I like the effect, too. Nice to be able to draw out the paint scheme ahead of time. Makes planning the masking process a lot easier.

Greg L Bahrman:
Thanks Eric

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version