« on: November 30, 2021, 06:27:30 PM »
blank
« Last Edit: December 04, 2021, 08:40:29 AM by Motorman »

Online Brett Buck

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Re: Live and (didn't) Learn
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2021, 06:48:57 PM »
I covered my horz stab with 1.6 oz glass cloth and finishing resin for twisting strength. I shot it with rustolium primer then 2 coats of rustolium color and it's been sitting about a week.

I went light with the resin to keep the weight down. I learned years (decades) ago you have to fill the grain before you glass or you'll get a million pin holes if the finishing resin is at all thin in places which it was. End grain area's are especially bad. Anybody know what I should do next?

I had an idea to mix more finishing resin with color pigment and zinc stearate and brush it on the pin hole areas then sand and shoot the rest of the rustolium color on. Just wondering if this would cause a problem with the paint that's already on there.

I have had this problem and I asked some real experts - the pylon guys, who deal with this all the time. They told me to skim over each hole with Bondo, sand it down so you just get tiny red dots where the pinholes are, then finish over it. Works very well, and it is very easy to sand off anything except the bondo in the holes, so it weighs nothing.

Brett

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Re: Live and (didn't) Learn
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2021, 09:30:19 PM »
  Just for filling pin holes, any kind of spot putty would work. If you got a coat of primer on it to show you where the pinholes holes are, we are only talking about a little dot or putty here and there. That's what spot putty is for. Plastic modelers have it available in some military colors even and it comes in smaller tubes. Hell, even old Pactra plastic balsa would work for this. I would not use spackling compound. It's vinyl usually.
  Type at you later,
  Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here