Blank
« Last Edit: December 07, 2021, 06:55:42 PM by Motorman »

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Re: Lightest Finish
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2017, 05:57:39 PM »
Go to the Corehouse site.  I think Phil has a help there on do foam wings with SLC iron on covering.   Or you could look through these post and see the other coverings that have been used.  Even down in the carrier section Bill Bischoff show using white glue and silk span as well as the Corehouse on his stunt plane. 

When you get to the site click on the Giles notes.   It has a short note on finish.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Brent Williams

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Fancher Handles - Presented by Brent Williams
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2017, 07:31:16 PM »
DesignMaster Tint-It floral dye sprayed on the adhesive side of the film is very lightweight.  I used 1.3mil D&K lamination film.  The spray dye didn't seem to affect the adhesion of the film to the balsa.  I used this method on my Trailblazer plane. 

The yellow I used on this plane is (heavy) rustoleum.  There are definitely lighter color options and methods other than rustoleum. Dope, Klass Kote epoxy, Nelson/system3 would all have the potential be much lighter than the rusto paint.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2017, 08:45:09 PM by Brent Williams »
Laser-cut, "Ted Fancher Precision-Pro" Hard Point Handle Kits are available again.  PM for info.
https://stunthanger.com/smf/brent-williams'-fancher-handles-and-cl-parts/ted-fancher's-precision-pro-handle-kit-by-brent-williams-information/

Offline Brent Williams

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Fancher Handles - Presented by Brent Williams
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2017, 04:34:17 AM »
For a good tutorial on light, beautiful finishes, read Pete Peterson's article in the Jan/Feb 2009 Stunt News.

Pete is a master of the art.  His method of applying transparent finishes is extremely lightweight.

The finish on his Jamison Special was 3.8oz from the bare wood. 

https://pampa.bureaugravity.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/08/SN_Magazine_Jan_Feb_2009.pdf

Laser-cut, "Ted Fancher Precision-Pro" Hard Point Handle Kits are available again.  PM for info.
https://stunthanger.com/smf/brent-williams'-fancher-handles-and-cl-parts/ted-fancher's-precision-pro-handle-kit-by-brent-williams-information/

Offline Fredvon4

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Central Texas
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2017, 11:44:56 AM »
I get my ZS from Randy Smith...His is  a finer screened powder than the lumpy, grainy stuff I got off e-bay seller a decade ago

Randy's Tub of ZS goes a long way

I use a lot of Phil Cartier's SLC... light....very light and IMO pretty cheap

Hint for a fully sheeted wing... and Most super thin light shrinks....first look at Bobby Mear's (find him in the combat section) face book page and his use of shrink stuff

You can color the balsa sheet somewhat with Preval sprayers and water based craft paints for near zero weigh gain...will not be opaque
Then with SLC...or light Mil doculam do NOT do traditional perimeter glue/heat... start in the middle=== and heat/glue down working all the air to the perimeter

"A good scare teaches more than good advice"

Fred von Gortler IV

Offline Allan Perret

• Admiral
  • Proverbs
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2017, 09:14:01 PM »
I used Peterson's method on the RMD-3,  it is for sure a lite finish..  48oz on a 620" bird
Allan Perret
AMA 302406
Slidell, Louisiana

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here