News:

• March 28, 2024, 03:25:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Light non fuel proof finish?  (Read 1544 times)

Offline Paul Taylor

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • If God is your Co-pilot - swap seats!
    • Our Local CL Web Page
Light non fuel proof finish?
« on: July 21, 2022, 08:16:28 PM »
Howdy!
I have been gifted a plane that is almost ready for paint. It’s electric! (Boogie, woogie 🎵- now that song is stuck in your head- your welcome)

I’m looking for a light weight recipe for laying on a non-dope finish. It will never get judged for appearance points but I would like a nice looking plane. I have been searching for a spray on paint that will lay down and flow out nice with a coat of clear on top. I do plan on putting some ink lines on it so maybe two coats of some type of clear.
Does anyone have a process that works?
I found a thread on the Cretex Auto Air paints but no details on how to apply it.
Thanks
Paul
AMA 842917

Tight Lines = Fun Times

Offline Craig Beswick

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
Re: Light non fuel proof finish?
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2022, 09:15:02 PM »
Sparkys videos for a dope finish.

Craig
« Last Edit: July 21, 2022, 10:06:05 PM by Craig Beswick »
AUS 87123
"The Ninja"

Offline Brent Williams

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Fancher Handles - Presented by Brent Williams
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2022, 10:04:42 PM »
Howdy!
I have been gifted a plane that is almost ready for paint. It’s electric! (Boogie, woogie 🎵- now that song is stuck in your head- your welcome)

I’m looking for a light weight recipe for laying on a non-dope finish. It will never get judged for appearance points but I would like a nice looking plane. I have been searching for a spray on paint that will lay down and flow out nice with a coat of clear on top. I do plan on putting some ink lines on it so maybe two coats of some type of clear.
Does anyone have a process that works?
I found a thread on the Cretex Auto Air paints but no details on how to apply it.
Thanks

I don't think water based anything will totally edge out 2k auto clears, KlassKote and dope finishes, but this new generation of water based and water borne paints sure merit some consideration.  For my home situation, paint odor is very problematic with my wife's allergies, so options such as these are intriguing.

Here's a few videos on the application of Createx UVLS 4053 Gloss Clear.

Video on using Createx 4050 Balancing Clear to make pearl and mica clears.

« Last Edit: July 22, 2022, 01:04:26 AM by Brent Williams »
Laser-cut, "Ted Fancher Precision-Pro" Hard Point Handle Kits are available again.  PM for info.
https://stunthanger.com/smf/brent-williams'-fancher-handles-and-cl-parts/ted-fancher's-precision-pro-handle-kit-by-brent-williams-information/

Offline Paul Taylor

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • If God is your Co-pilot - swap seats!
    • Our Local CL Web Page
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2022, 07:51:18 AM »
Thanks! I give these a watch.
Paul
AMA 842917

Tight Lines = Fun Times

Offline Steve Dwyer

• 2020 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2023, 07:08:35 PM »
After coming across last years post on Createx High Gloss Top Coat Sealer I decided to try it.  I bought the 4 oz of the 4053 Gloss and 2oz of the 4011 reducer. I applied it with a .05 airbrush at 30 psi mixed to 20% added reducer. I applied three coats waiting 15 min between coats to dry on two Rustoleum Stop Rust spray that I let cure for three weeks.

The 4052 provided a nice gloss coating but it failed to hold up when splashing 10% nitro on it. The fuel dulled the finish.

Steve

Online Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2023, 06:36:25 AM »
Paul,
I have been using the Liquitex Professional Spray Paint (www.liquitex.com) and Montana Colors (www.montanacolors.com) waterbased acrylic's with a KBS Diamond Clearcoat Aerosol (https://www.kbs-coatings.com/diamondfinish-clear-aerosol.html). All are rattle cans weighs very close to dope. The acrylic's go on flat (use very light coats ~2 to cover and not run) and cure out in a few minutes to touch, I let them cure out 3-4 days before taping and overcoat. The KSB in the rattle can has very long shelf life don't get the stuff in a can as it is humidity activated and once the can is open cures the whole can in a week or so (I have had the rattle can for over a year and it sprays and cure great). The KSB needs to be sprayed outdoors and you need a good (N95) spray mask at least. This gives a nice hard finish that is easy and totally fuel proof as a bonus.

Best,    DennisT

Offline Steve Dwyer

• 2020 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2023, 03:28:42 PM »
Dennis,

What did you use to clean the surface before applying the KBS spray can clear coat? They have a water based cleaner called KBS Klean, I'm wondering if Windex will work just as well?

Steve

Online Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2023, 06:21:06 AM »
Steve,
I just did a light sanding with 400 then wiped it down with a tac rage. I think the Windex would work but would do a final wipe with just water and let dry off real good.

Best,    DennisT

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here