News:

• May 01, 2024, 12:16:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: nylon or polyester ????  (Read 913 times)

Offline jim gilmore

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
nylon or polyester ????
« on: April 29, 2015, 01:57:33 PM »
Wondering if anybody has bought either from Jo-ann's fabrics or any where else and sed it to coner a model ?
Also can lacquer polyurethan be used instead of dope ????
I am building electric so I do not need it to be fuel proof.

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Re: nylon or polyester ????
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2015, 10:50:05 AM »
I've used the poly-ester cloth from the fabric store on several models.   There is a wide variety of colors to choose from.   The gold is the only color that did not hold its color.  I used nylon many years ago on planes we wanted to last a while.  Had to put it on tight to begin with as there was no shrinkage.   The poly-ester may disappoint you when you first apply it.  Do the frame work of the plane like you would silk span.  Apply it dry, taking out as many wrinkles as you can.   Once it is on the plane use the Monokote iron to shrink it.   I use only butyrate dope.   The first coats is what you have to not worry about as the material will go slack.    Again it depends on how much you thin the dope.   Inmost of mine it was after the 6th or 7th coat the material shrank up tight.    I like the material, because it is lower in price than most materials.   As ant thing it takes a learning curve and patience.   A side note,  don't sand into the material as it is similar to poly-span. H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here