News:

• March 28, 2024, 05:42:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: KlassKote Primer (fast and slow)  (Read 1343 times)

Offline Brett Buck

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
KlassKote Primer (fast and slow)
« on: June 21, 2019, 11:30:29 PM »
    Since I am working on the new airplane, I have had a chance to use the KlassKote "fast" primer. I had previously used the "slow" type with very good results, but it seemed to take a while to completely cure. Of course, I am (as usual) in a big hurry so I got some of the "fast". It works extremely well, too, but - its pretty fast! I started out with very good spray and flow-out, but after about 30 minutes, it started getting pretty darn thick, and the last bit of it was really rough. This is OK, since you sand almost all of it off, anyway, but just be prepared and work quickly. Also - DO NOT wait for an "induction time" like other epoxy paint products, mix it and go. It says that in the instructions, and I was a little laggard, which contributed to the issue.

Another thing that both the slow and fast versions have in common, that wasn't a problem for me, and not a problem for Uncle Jimby when he did it, but may explain some other people's problems and "lack of coverage" - note that the "catalyst" also contains a large amount of zinc stearate, like, half the can!  As far as I can tell, all the "body" of the primer is in the catalyst, with only pigment to make it white (or whatever other color) in the "part A". It is *very* thick, easily an inch and a half deep in a pint can, and you can rest assured that it is all settled to the bottom of the can. No amount of shaking is enough, you have to get in there with a strong stirring stick with a lot of leverage to get it stirred up and unclumped, then shake the hell out of it.

Do that, and it is extremely, and I mean really super-extreme, "high build". It is not thin and runny, you could put it on bare wood and fill the grain in one application, much, much thicker than K&B with much faster "build". "Fast" sands easily in about 12 hours (but wait longer...) and slow, I would wait at least 24 hours at high moderate room temperature.

In my current application, it also came out substantially lighter than my last K&B superpoxy primer job. Last time, I sprayed *7 ounces* of weight, of which I sanded off 3.5 ounces, for a net of 3.5 ounces. This time, I sprayed 3.6 ounces, and sanded about 1.5 ounces off it, for a net of around 2 - I can't say for sure since I didn't carefully check before I started, I am projecting it from earlier measurements. The results are about the same quality, not perfect by any stretch of the imagination, but as good, for less weight. Surface prep could be a difference, too, probably better this time.

I don't think it sands quite as easily as K&B, you could take 320 sandpaper and swipe it lightly across Superpoxy primer and get big pile of dust immediately. KlassKote takes a little more effort, I have to say that I didn't have the same degree of "white booger syndrome" or mounds of suspicious white powder everywhere.

At any rate, leaking cans aside, I have been very happy with both versions and its a very good or superior sub for K&B. I have both in abundance, I would chose KlassKote.

Brett

p.s. I would hasten to add, that while I might be willing to try K&B primer over open bay construction, it might be a bit risky with KlassKote primer, because it takes substantially more work to sand, meaning more chance of going through the covering. Jim did it in some spots, but I would be very uncomfortable over an entire wing. For sure, you will want to be using the "sandpaper dot glued to your fingertip" trick.

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: KlassKote Primer (fast and slow)
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2019, 03:50:50 PM »
I assume this is on sheeted wings, how would you due open bay.

Best,  DennisT

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2019, 08:13:31 PM »
I assume this is on sheeted wings, how would you due open bay.

I wouldn't recommend that.

Brett

Offline Mike Griffin

• 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2019, 10:31:17 PM »
Thank you for posting this Brett. I had not tried the primer yet but was getting ready to order it.  This helps a lot. 

Mike

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here