News:

• March 28, 2024, 01:11:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Klass Kote orange peel  (Read 1407 times)

Offline David Ebers

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Lieutenant
Klass Kote orange peel
« on: April 22, 2022, 01:26:43 AM »
My second time spraying Klass Kote with an airbrush produced orange peel. What is the best way to sand it flat to prep for another coat? Dry sand, wet sand? What grit sandpaper?

Thanks for your help.

Offline Motorman

• Admiral
Re: Klass Kote orange peel
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2022, 08:25:42 AM »
I would lightly dry sand it with 60 grit so it doesn't clog the paper.

Offline Chris Brainard

• AMA Member
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2022, 09:05:00 AM »
Let it fully cure (3 - 4 days) and it should powder off easily without clogging the sandpaper. 3M Pro Grade Precision 320 X-Fine No Slip Grip works great for me.

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2022, 06:39:29 PM »
I would lightly dry sand it with 60 grit so it doesn't clog the paper.

Yeah, right, and then after completely ruining it by using 60 grit you can throw the model in the burn pile and start building the replacement. (in other words, don't follow the 60 grit advice)
Narrowly averting disaster since 1964! 

Wayne Willey
Albert Lea, MN U.S.A. IC C/L Aircraft Modeler, Ex AMA member

Offline kevin king

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2022, 07:26:58 PM »
I would use a touch up gun. Pushing Klass Kote through an air brush may be part of the problem.

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2022, 09:58:32 PM »
I would use a touch up gun. Pushing Klass Kote through an air brush may be part of the problem.

Not enough thinner, more likely. My airbrushing experience has been excellent, better than my touch-up gun experience.

Brett

Offline David Ebers

• Lieutenant
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2022, 10:37:14 PM »
Appreciate yalls input. Sanded fairly  well welk with 320 grit.

I purchased the same airbrush Brett described in his klass kote/airbrush thread, Paasche VL with #5 tip. I folliwed his instructions.

My first attempt using the airbrush turned out much better. I mixed it 1:1:1 both times. Air pressure is set at 28 psi. I can add a bit more thinner.  Some areas on this attempt turned out better than others. Probabaly my inexperience and technique. How close shouldI I be from the surface when spraying?

Offline kevin king

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2022, 02:27:45 AM »
Do a test on something on something first. On my VL airbrush I spray somewhere between 4 to 6" from the surface. Or ask Brett.  So many variables its hard to give an answer. Brett will know..
Kevin.

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2022, 03:13:33 PM »
Do a test on something on something first. On my VL airbrush I spray somewhere between 4 to 6" from the surface. Or ask Brett.  So many variables its hard to give an answer. Brett will know..
Kevin.

I actually don't know, I would guess it's something like 4-6" with the #5 needle and tip and full flow, but I adjust depending on what I am doing and how it is going on. I am far from a paint expert, but one of the things I like about the epoxy paint is that it is very forgiving, Klass Kote particularly so. If it is orange peeling, I add thinner and put it on more lightly to keep it from running.

I would also add that I have had little luck actually measuring how much thinner to use, and it is definitely not the same from color to color or in differing conditions. I use the closest handy thinner can to test on and adjust it for that session.

Brett

Offline kevin king

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2022, 03:49:56 PM »
Yes, an example would be White will need more thinner because its a heavier paint. Black, red need less thinner because they are a thinner paint. Same goes for air pressure. Heavy pigmented paint will take more air pressure to push through the gun while Red
and black will take less air pressure. Its like an engine, the fuel and air mixture needs to be right, as well as the speed of the gun passing along the surface, the distance of the gun from the part and percentage of overlap. In reality, Its less important than it sounds. Its really your technique. If you have everything else in the general ballpark it will be good enough. You either got it or you dont.

Offline David Ebers

• Lieutenant
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2022, 11:41:09 AM »
Brett, Kevin,

Appreciate your input and advice.  I forgot about the thinner can. I did that the first time I sprayed klass kote and guess I got lucky with amount of thinner I used. I did notice the weight difference of the colors (white, orange and light blue) when unpacked the shopping box. I weighed each color and wrote that info down somewhere.

Humidity and temps will funalky be decent this afternoon. Go UK ng to guve another go.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here