News:

• April 19, 2024, 12:14:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Klass Kote leaking cans  (Read 955 times)

Offline Brett Buck

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Klass Kote leaking cans
« on: June 20, 2019, 09:14:54 PM »
Just a heads up for those of you using KlassKote products - check to see if your cans are leaking. I have been painting the last week or so, and I have found several cases where the can was leaking, after just having sat there. I lost some product, but the bigger concerns are fire hazard and chemical exposure. For some reason, I have found that the thinner, particularly, makes its way out of the can, even a can that previous held other thinners without leaking.

This is actually a pretty serious problem, I don't know where to get cans or bottles that will work and not leak. I am going to send Nathaniel an email, and I am pretty sure he would replace lost materials but you can't just have cans slowly leaking.

Brett

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Klass Kote leaking cans
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2019, 09:12:44 PM »
 Brett;
   Maybe glass jars would fill the bill. Old dope jars and such. I use pickle jars to mix dope in also. Ball brand jars have a good seal. Ought to get you by until you hear from the manufacturer. Empty new cans from a local auto paint store ought to work also,, since they hold similar products.
   Type at you later,
    Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2019, 10:42:06 PM »
Brett;
   Maybe glass jars would fill the bill. Old dope jars and such. I use pickle jars to mix dope in also. Ball brand jars have a good seal. Ought to get you by until you hear from the manufacturer. Empty new cans from a local auto paint store ought to work also,, since they hold similar products.
   Type at you later,
    Dan McEntee

I got some empty cans from Grainger and soldered the bottom and side joints, which should work. I also took an old K&B Ultrapoxy thinner can and wire brushed and soldered up the seams on that, too, and am currently checking to see if it holds now.

For the time being, that seems to be a solution, albeit a pain in the ass. I might repair some of the existing cans similarly, at least for thinner (since I can get it completely out of the interior easily), Just need to store it in the new cans for a day or two while I outgas the others enough to solder without blowing up the building.

Glass would work as far as leaking goes, but the catalyst in particular is photochemically reactive, so it would also require some protection from light (like aluminum foil).

Brett

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2019, 05:38:50 PM »
All my paint is in glass mason jars with plastic lids. Works well for me.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here