News:

• March 28, 2024, 04:40:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: K&B Ultra Poxy  (Read 3124 times)

Offline Motorman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
K&B Ultra Poxy
« on: August 09, 2020, 10:12:05 PM »
blank
« Last Edit: August 21, 2021, 04:33:28 PM by Motorman »

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
Re: K&B Ultra Poxy
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2020, 10:56:58 PM »
Anyone use K&B Ultrapoxy? Just wondering if it's as good and fuel proof as Superpoxy. Seems I heard some negative comments about it when it first came out. It's on close out at Mecoa.\

It is really good, and the primer in particular is great. Unfortunately, some of the colors, particularly white, are pinkish/purpleish, because the catalyst is a strong purple color. Otherwise it is much like SuperPoxy. The problem is that the supply is stock on hand and there won't be any more, and things like the thinner are not available. You can use KlassKote #550 "Fast" thinner. #500/regular will not work.

To me it is a dead end. KlassKote works just as well and is easily available (with uncanny shipping speeds, from past experience).

Brett

Offline C.T. Schaefer

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2020, 04:47:09 AM »
Walt, I have purple that you can have.  TS

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2020, 06:52:39 AM »
Walt, I have purple that you can have.  TS

If I used that kind of paint I would take it!

Someone in the Forum once said, "Never use purple paint." So I decided to use purple paint.

Purple is actually a great color for trim. Possibly, with a good deal of thought, could also be used as a primary color. Nah!
Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline Mark wood

• 22 supporter
  • Captain
  • I'm here purely for the fun of it.
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2020, 08:38:55 PM »
If I used that kind of paint I would take it!

Someone in the Forum once said, "Never use purple paint." So I decided to use purple paint.

Purple is actually a great color for trim. Possibly, with a good deal of thought, could also be used as a primary color. Nah!

Unfortunately though, science and physics has proven that yellow airplanes fly better...

;)

Life is good AMA 1488
Why do we fly? We are practicing, you might say, what it means to be alive...  -Richard Bach
“Physics is like sex: sure, it may give some practical results, but that’s not why we do it.” – Richard P. Feynman

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2020, 05:44:43 PM »
Unfortunately though, science and physics has proven that yellow airplanes fly better... ;)

Yellow is actually a great primary color for a model airplane. I probably wouldn't place purple with it although yellow and purple are complementary colors. You would really have to think about the scheme.

I have a photo someplace of a model, I cannot find it at the moment, but the builder used yellow on the fuselage top and side and white on the fuselage bottom and side. Red accent between the two. Really nice!

I'll look a bit more, unless someone knows the model?

I remembered this photo.  ;D
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2020, 06:15:13 AM »
Took a bit of time but I found the photo. I wish I had more photos of this model, anyone?

I keep a file of "special models" based on finish, color combination and scheme.

Not so much to copy, although there's nothing wrong with that, but to just get ideas.

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2020, 10:17:00 AM »

The key to your winning personality...

I have no particular problem with purple, but not when I want it to be white and it's purple/pink by accident. At one time, they made a special "white catalyst" that was not nearly as strong a color, but that hasn't been available for 20 years.

That is actually a second potential problem with UltraPoxy - it hasn't been made in *many* years, at least 20 years, and it is my *very strong suspicion* that most of was/is relabelled surplus SuperPoxy, with a one-time special order of things like catalyst to fill shortages from the surplus. That means it is possible that some of the Ultrapoxy is 30-40, maybe approaching 50 years old, and none of it is newer than about 20. Although SuperPoxy seems to have a *much* better shelf life than HobbyPoxy, at some point it will go bad, and if it doesn't react properly, you have a huge mess or failed project.

Brett

Offline Ted Fancher

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2020, 10:36:30 PM »
Hey!  There ain't nothin' wrong with a purple airplane!  There's even a special name for purple planes: "Pond Scum".

Offline Warren Wagner

• 22 supporter
  • Commander
  • Bradenton, FL
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2020, 10:09:26 AM »
The Final Edition has always been one of my favorite color schemes !!!   It is an amazing and creative
combination of colors.   That's a "A+" in my book.   I'm envious of the artistic talent.

And besides, where I come from, 'pond scum' is GREEN, which in itself is a nice color, regardless
of the nickname.  <g>

(I know that people were just teasing Ted when they came up with that moniker. )

Cheers.

Warren Wagner
Bradenton, FL

Warren Wagner
AMA 1385

Offline John Miller

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2020, 11:17:19 AM »
It may be that that much purple pond scum attracts BEES. y1 #^ H^^

John
Getting a line on life. AMA 1601

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2020, 12:23:15 PM »
KlassKote works just as well and is easily available (with uncanny shipping speeds, from past experience).

They have to include the cans for me or it’s no deal.
The Jive Combat Team
Making combat and stunt great again

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2020, 04:46:38 PM »
>>There's even a special name for purple planes: "Pond Scum".<< Or sometimes Bug Planes.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2020, 05:30:13 PM »
Hey!  There ain't nothin' wrong with a purple airplane!  There's even a special name for purple planes: "Pond Scum".

Bobby Hunt, poet laureate of stunt.

Brett

Offline Skip Chernoff

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2020, 08:20:34 AM »
Walt ,buy it,it's good stuff,but use a good respirator when spraying

Offline John Leidle

• Captain
« Reply #15 on: December 25, 2020, 12:02:14 PM »
   Ted ,
  I'd forgotten how good that lavender ( purple) plane looked.
          John L.

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2021, 12:07:33 AM »
Purple is probably the most difficult color to make look good. It tends to go gray and look pretty sorry. If it was carried off well on that model, well people were envious.
Think S.M.A.L.L. y'all and, it's all good, CL, FF and RC!

DesignMan
 BTW, Dracula Sucks!  A closed mouth gathers no feet!

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here