News:

• April 19, 2024, 07:22:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Jet White Monokote  (Read 736 times)

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Jet White Monokote
« on: March 20, 2023, 01:06:37 PM »
I just ordered 2 rolls of Jet White monokote from a reputable EBay source that I have used for a long time.  They arrived today and both rolls were Flat Jet White.  When I questioned the seller I was told that all they could get anymore was flat.  Has anybody else heard this?  I can live without a lot of things in this hobby but White MonoKote is NOT one of them.

Ken
AMA 15382
If it is not broke you are not trying hard enough.
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Online Dave Rigotti

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
  • "Electric...The future of anytime stunt"
Re: Jet White Monokote
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2023, 01:27:35 PM »
https://www.towerhobbies.com/product/monokote-jet-white-6-2/HHDTOPQ0204.html

Just got some last month.

I just ordered 2 rolls of Jet White monokote from a reputable EBay source that I have used for a long time.  They arrived today and both rolls were Flat Jet White.  When I questioned the seller I was told that all they could get anymore was flat.  Has anybody else heard this?  I can live without a lot of things in this hobby but White MonoKote is NOT one of them.

Ken
Dave Rigotti
AMA 66859
Chesterland, Ohio

Offline Colin McRae

• Captain
  • Are we having fun yet??
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2023, 02:39:41 PM »
Ken, I recently ordered Jet White (Top Flite) from Brodak for my Skyray 35 build. No issues.

Maybe return it and get what you want.

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2023, 02:44:28 PM »
https://www.towerhobbies.com/product/monokote-jet-white-6-2/HHDTOPQ0204.html

Just got some last month.

Dave, it was Tower that I ordered from.  I ordered from that link in fact.  It came FLAT and they are not stocking the gloss anymore.  In fact they said that all MonoKote would be flat.  They are selling out of it then going to UltraKote.  Tried to sell me some of that instead.  I put in an order to Horizon and told them to cancel it if it was flat.  I just checked the rolls I got from Tower last month and they sent me one gloss and one flat when I ordered 2.  I should have checked both rolls. Their argument is that the advertisements just say white and does not specify flat or gloss so they just send what they have and that is somehow OK.  As I was typing this I got an email from Horizon cancelling the rolls I just ordered - theirs is Flat too.

Ken 
AMA 15382
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2023, 02:45:02 PM »
Ken, I recently ordered Jet White (Top Flite) from Brodak for my Skyray 35 build. No issues.

Maybe return it and get what you want.
Next on my list - thanks

Brodak apparently has it but I couldn't justify the $65 for 2 rolls and I am not sure if it is even gloss.  From what I am reading they used the same SKU for both.

Found some at AMain Hobbies.  They were happy to check and it was GLOSS!  Until now I had no idea there was such a thing as flat monokote.  Must be popular with the RC WWII crowd.  3 rolls shipped $43.

I wonder if the flat is lighter?  I could always clear coat.

Ken
« Last Edit: March 20, 2023, 03:27:36 PM by Ken Culbertson »
AMA 15382
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2023, 03:10:50 PM »
  MonoKote hasn't been produced in a long time, and what has ben available is what has been on hand in stock. When was the Tower/Great Planes bankruptcy filed? I think they quit making it even before that as a cost cutting measure. I wish i t was still made like it was 40 years ago. Haven't had  the nerve to try UltraKote yet.
  Type at you later,
   Dan McEntee

AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Online Dave Rigotti

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2023, 03:45:15 PM »
Ken,
Did you actually look at the MonoKote itself or are you just reading the label?  I don't see where Top Flite ever offered a "flat" white.  Mine have flat labels but are for sure "glossy".  Product number TOPQ0204.
Here's a link to colors and part numbers:  http://thelukens.net/airplanes/Covering_Color_Charts.htm#Flat

Ken
Dave Rigotti
AMA 66859
Chesterland, Ohio

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2023, 06:04:20 PM »
Ken,
Did you actually look at the MonoKote itself or are you just reading the label?  I don't see where Top Flite ever offered a "flat" white.  Mine have flat labels but are for sure "glossy".  Product number TOPQ0204.
Here's a link to colors and part numbers:  http://thelukens.net/airplanes/Covering_Color_Charts.htm#Flat

You may be right.  I had one roll of the flat that I can't return that I was going to try just to see what it looked like so I opened it and it was gloss.  It didn't seem as thick though.  I also heard that they ran out of wrappers and just stuck the Flat on everything.  I didn't want to open them because I couldn't return them if I did.  I have never heard of a flat white either till I got these.  I may have to try ultrakote once this stash is gone.  You have put me back on schedule - Thanks!
AMA 15382
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline Colin McRae

• Captain
  • Are we having fun yet??
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2023, 07:12:11 PM »
Next on my list - thanks

Brodak apparently has it but I couldn't justify the $65 for 2 rolls and I am not sure if it is even gloss.  From what I am reading they used the same SKU for both.

Found some at AMain Hobbies.  They were happy to check and it was GLOSS!  Until now I had no idea there was such a thing as flat monokote.  Must be popular with the RC WWII crowd.  3 rolls shipped $43.

I wonder if the flat is lighter?  I could always clear coat.

Ken

Ken, I must apologize as I spoke too soon. Was curious about the new white roll I got from Brodak. The label says 'flat'. I really did not look at the roll when I received it and just put it away on my shelf.

I did take a look at it and took off a section of the outer protective wrap. What is interesting is that there is a mild gloss sheen. Not super glossy, but not really flat either.

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2023, 08:37:33 PM »
I had the same impression.  When I put it next to a wing covered with the "old" Jet White it looked the same color but the shine was more subdued, yet still there.  I thought that there were two whites in the monokote line, and the end label actually said "Jet White".  These just say "White".  I have enough of the old to finish the stab on the plane I am working on.  I will do one wing with the new and if it is not too dull I will probably keep it.  Good chance I will clear coat anyway to cover the seams and graphics.  I will find out Thursday if the AMain Hobbies order is the old gloss. 

Tower (from EBay) is claiming that advertising the old and delivering the flat is just fine since the old product never said "gloss".  My last order with them.  Horizon actually checked their stock and were surprised to find that they too had flat and cancelled my order with an apology.

Maybe I should be preparing for life after MonoKote.  Anybody out there have good things to say about UltraKote?  I think I got a roll of it about four years ago by mistake and I used it on my Twister. i remember it being difficult to mold around corners but otherwise OK.  I did have to retighten it alot.

Ken

Ken
AMA 15382
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline fred cesquim

• Captain
    • Fred Cesquim Aeromodelos
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2023, 08:30:04 AM »
I had the same impression.  When I put it next to a wing covered with the "old" Jet White it looked the same color but the shine was more subdued, yet still there.  I thought that there were two whites in the monokote line, and the end label actually said "Jet White".  These just say "White".  I have enough of the old to finish the stab on the plane I am working on.  I will do one wing with the new and if it is not too dull I will probably keep it.  Good chance I will clear coat anyway to cover the seams and graphics.  I will find out Thursday if the AMain Hobbies order is the old gloss. 

Tower (from EBay) is claiming that advertising the old and delivering the flat is just fine since the old product never said "gloss".  My last order with them.  Horizon actually checked their stock and were surprised to find that they too had flat and cancelled my order with an apology.

Maybe I should be preparing for life after MonoKote.  Anybody out there have good things to say about UltraKote?  I think I got a roll of it about four years ago by mistake and I used it on my Twister. i remember it being difficult to mold around corners but otherwise OK.  I did have to retighten it alot.

Ken

Ken
being a pro builder for some 30+ years i have covered a lot of planes with ultrakote and monokote. ultra is easy to apply but thicker, leaves more noticeable wraps and after some 5 years start to peel off from the colors, a nightmare....on the other hand monocote changed the formula about 10 years ago an now is the best option, unfortunately, iīve read they resumed production due to lack of users (maybe chinakote is the choice for the modellers, not me...) i will use monocote as long as itīs available...

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2023, 03:39:45 PM »
Ken, I must apologize as I spoke too soon. Was curious about the new white roll I got from Brodak. The label says 'flat'. I really did not look at the roll when I received it and just put it away on my shelf.

I did take a look at it and took off a section of the outer protective wrap. What is interesting is that there is a mild gloss sheen. Not super glossy, but not really flat either.

I have a side-by-side comparison of the two now and they appear to be the same.  Why they call it flat is beyond me, especially since they have not been producing and there never has been a flat white.  One of life's mysteries.

Ken
AMA 15382
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Online Dave Rigotti

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2023, 03:52:41 PM »
I think Top Flite (Horizon) was simply using up labels they already had on hand.
Dave Rigotti
AMA 66859
Chesterland, Ohio

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2023, 04:34:49 PM »
I think Top Flite (Horizon) was simply using up labels they already had on hand.
I think you are right, and I think the Tower rep I chatted with over the issue knew it and was trying to make it look like I was the crazy one for thinking that a "Flat Finish" was in fact flat.  All it would take is for them to put a statement in description of the product on Amazon & Ebay to prevent misunderstanding.  Well at least I have a good supply of Jet White!

Ken
AMA 15382
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline bill bischoff

• Admiral
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2023, 04:40:41 PM »
Yes Virginia, there was a flat white, and other flat colors as well. At one time there were about a half dozen "Military Flat" colors, such as grey, OD green, tan, etc.... I think they were primarily marketed to folks who need to repair their Top Flite ARF warbirds. They did have their own unique part numbers, separate from the standard "gloss" colors.

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2023, 12:55:11 PM »
I have a side-by-side comparison of the two now and they appear to be the same.  Why they call it flat is beyond me, especially since they have not been producing and there never has been a flat white.  One of life's mysteries.

Ken

The label is also the instructions, it actually says

"Monokote
Flat Monokote"

in the title. There are using the same instructions for both, but it looks like it is flat.

I was confused the same way, it is very misleading. At this point, they have a warehouse full of it with this label, so they aren't going to fix it.

Brett

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2023, 04:19:57 PM »
   The label is also the instructions, it actually says

"Monokote
Flat Monokote"

in the title. There are using the same instructions for both, but it looks like it is flat.

I was confused the same way, it is very misleading. At this point, they have a warehouse full of it with this label, so they aren't going to fix it.

Brett
I had to order from three separate places to get the gloss.  All three said they were sending "Jet White" and all three sent Flat "White".  It actually is gloss and I now have 6 rolls.  I am scared to send them back. Having to live in a "No Paint" zone and running out of white MonoKote would be traumatic. ~^

Ken
AMA 15382
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here