News:

• October 25, 2024, 04:45:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Iwata LPH-80 0.8mm  (Read 69022 times)

Offline Mike Quinn

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Lieutenant
Iwata LPH-80 0.8mm
« on: May 22, 2024, 03:00:24 PM »
Hi

Anyone with any experience of Iwata LPH-80 for our purposes?

Mike

Online Lauri Malila

• Admiral
Re: Iwata LPH-80 0.8mm
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2024, 10:48:21 AM »
« Last Edit: June 10, 2024, 03:56:53 AM by Lauri Malila »

Offline Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2024, 09:39:37 AM »
I use an Iwata air brush and it serves well.  However the LPH 80 seems to be way overkill for what we do.  Many regular spray guns work well at a fraction of the cost of that one.  Also I am not a fan of the gravity feed.   It seems awkward and clumsy and to some degree blocks the view of your work.  I prefer a bottle I can remove from the gun and set on the table to fill.  Otherwise you will need to create some sort of a holder in which to set the gun while you rest or simply to fill it.

Dave
AMA 20934
FAA Certificate FA3ATY4T94

Offline Mike Quinn

• Lieutenant
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2024, 09:58:40 AM »
Hi Dave

You’re not wrong on the overkill angle as it is pricey.  But then again, the whole hobby is pricey.  In my case , its not just for CL models but for larger RC models.

I’ve had good results on RC pattern models with just a Fastmover 0.8mm (Harbour freight type) HVLP at a fraction of the price.   These models were with a £30 gun.

https://forums.modelflying.co.uk/index.php?/topic/39623-loaded-dice-40s-spray-painting/#comments

I’ve been playing around with it some more and although its pricey you can definitely tell the difference.  Its Iwata airbrush type atomisation across a decent fan pattern width (4”) and lays down very light.  Super controllable.  My usual problem is laying down too much in one go and getting a little orange peel.

Have to say i prefer gravity brushes and guns as you can mix up pretty small amounts of paint.  Seem easier to clean too.  Theres plenty of downloads for 3D printable gun/cup holders out there so not really an issue per se. 

No doubt theres guys out there can achieve way better results than me with much cheaper gear.  Still learning 😀

Offline kevin king

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2024, 10:51:34 PM »
Keep in mind you cant put tape on any dope sprayed by an airbrush. No chemical adhesion. The thin coats from an airbrush dry too fast, not staying wet long enough to melt into the previous coat.

Offline Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2024, 07:29:05 AM »
I apply nearly all color dope with an airbrush and yes,  I can put tape down afterwards.   It is very rare I ever have a problem-but have on occasion.   Many times this may be a spot where a little sanding dust did not get entirely cleaned away before painting.  Windex and paper towels before painting usually gets it.  If you are spraying too dry or thin to begin with you might have an issue.  I most always have a slug of retarder in the dope and it is thinned quite a bit.   The spray goes on wet and shines wet looking.   If you wish to be sure you can hit the airplane with a clear coat before taping to lock it all down.   My habit these days is to apply the color trim and any ink lines I want to do.  Then airbrush on two light coats of clear to provide enough protection to then use a brush to apply final clear.  If you thin the clear by about 1/3rd then throw in ample retarder,  two or three coats will yield a sparkling finish with good clarity as is .  If you plan to wet sand and polish (done many that way but sort of over it) then apply four or five more coats to give you enough clear to sand without going through to the color.   This might cost you 3 ounces or more in finish weight which is largely why I don't anymore.  The heavily retarded clear can give you a finish very close to automotive clear coat-but allow you to repair it when needed in normal fashion and still end up lighter.

Dave
AMA 20934
FAA Certificate FA3ATY4T94

Offline kevin king

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2024, 01:18:32 AM »
Dave, adding retarder to the airbrush mix is a good idea. Helps the paint melt into the previous coat. Also, you are right , when there is an area that would be difficult to fix, i seal it in with 2 coats of clear dope, let dry, then mask it. That way If the tape pulls up paint it will hopefully only be the clear, not the colour.

Offline Steve Thompson

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2024, 06:16:02 PM »
I just used an LPH-80-102G to spray two planes.  It is a very high-quality paint gun, and it has a very nice spray pattern.  Instructions recommend using 13 psi and I found that it does have less over spray than the "touch up" gun I have been using.  Swath of spray seemed to be 3 to 5 inches.

My only problems were the three control knobs turn easily and would change setting by me inadvertently moving them while holding the gun.  A couple of times I stopped, wondering why it is not spraying good, to find my little finger had nearly shut down the air control.  It is a small gun and all of that is fixed by familiarity, paying attention, or having smaller hands.

I never had dope dry and plug the spray nozzle, even when letting it sit for a few minutes when moving parts around.  Seems that was a real problem with the old gun. 

I am not a painter and can't claim the finish was better in my hands than the old gun.  But it did use less air and had less overspray and was fun to use.   

I can feel the quality of the Iwata when I hold it and that helps bring joy from the task.  I have heard may arguments about a cheap wrench doing the same job as a Snap On.  I have a set of Snap-On tools I have been using for almost 40 years.  I still enjoy the feel of them every time I get to pick one up. 

My old gun was 70 dollars 30 years ago.  Harbor freight sells a similar touch-up gun now for 29 bucks.  If you are on a budget, get the Harbor Freight one, as it will be better than no spray gun.  I don't recall the price of the Iwata, but it is a jewel. 

I like it.  Your mileage may vary.

Tags: