News:

• May 22, 2024, 07:31:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Real silver-look?  (Read 1243 times)

Offline FLOYD CARTER

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
    • owner
Real silver-look?
« on: July 01, 2012, 05:29:44 PM »
I remember some discussion on a silver butyrate that looks like silver, and not a dull grey!

I DO NOT use "unknown" paints, only butyrate, and especially Brodak.  But their silver is not so great in the shine department.

I always top coat with urethane automotive 2-part clear.

Can anyone come up with a "better looking" silver?

Floyd
90 years, but still going (mostly)
AMA #796  SAM #188  LSF #020

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Real silver-look?
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2012, 07:56:12 PM »
Try your local automotive paint store for silver.  I used silver one time and never again.   Have to keep stirring paint to keep the silver from settling to bottom of can. H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Allan Perret

• Admiral
  • Proverbs
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2012, 08:02:17 PM »
I remember some discussion on a silver butyrate that looks like silver, and not a dull grey!

I DO NOT use "unknown" paints, only butyrate, and especially Brodak.  But their silver is not so great in the shine department.

Floyd
Did you know that Brodak has 2 different silvers.  The B-25 Silver is supposed to have more pigment and give better coverage/
Allan Perret
AMA 302406
Slidell, Louisiana

Offline Matt Colan

• N-756355
  • AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2012, 11:37:35 PM »

Floyd

I tried silver on my Oriental Plus and I like the color itself but don't like it's adhesion properties and the fact it shows every single flaw in the woodwork.  I didn't want to use gray for my Trivial Pursuit because I don't care for the color.  I went out to create a silver-like color without the metallic in it.  I mixed gray with blue and very little black to get what I wanted.  It's more of a bluish color than silver but I like it!

Hope this helps!  H^^

PS. The ratio I used to mix it was 2:1 Brodak Platinum Gray to Brodak Insignia Blue.  Then I added very little black to get the color
Matt Colan

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2012, 08:08:12 AM »

Floyd
Floyd,
I cannot say much more about any different silvers,, but it may help to "gun tint" it a bit. the drier you spray silver, the more sparkle it will have,, same if you add more reducer before you spray. This causes the metal flakes to stand up instead of flowing and laying down. Just be very carefull spraying clear over it as you can reflow the metal flakes,, several light coats of clear over it before you do anything else.
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Jim Thomerson

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2012, 03:44:21 PM »
There is a chrome paint the plastic modelers use on car bumpers, etc.  I've seen it successfully used to color a canopy.  I once sprayed a plastic canopy on the inside with spray can aluminum paint.  The inside of the canopy was bright aluminum and the outside was grey.   :o

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2012, 04:12:27 PM »
There is a chrome paint the plastic modelers use on car bumpers, etc.  I've seen it successfully used to color a canopy.  I once sprayed a plastic canopy on the inside with spray can aluminum paint.  The inside of the canopy was bright aluminum and the outside was grey.   :o

That's it!  Spray your clear-coat first, then spray silver, then put the plane into the paint job!
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Online Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2012, 06:38:48 AM »
That's it!  Spray your clear-coat first, then spray silver, then put the plane into the paint job!

Yup, I think that technique is called "monocoting"...
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

Offline David Hoover

• Commander
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2012, 07:22:29 AM »
There is a down side to a shiny silver finish - it will show every finger mark and grease smudge that gets within 10 feet of the plane.  You will go nuts constantly wiping down the plane to keep it looking good and then your hand print will show where you were holding it while wiping it off.  Years ago I used chrome Monocote on the wings and rudder of a plane and swore that never again would I do that.  The shiny silver had an interesting effect on the rudder - while flying around the circle, the reflection of the changing surroundings made the rudder look as if it was moving.  On more than one occasion I was asked if I had a Rabe rudder - on a Twister!  A small area of shiny silver would be OK but I'd stay away from doing the whole plane that way.

Best, Hoovie
Life is simple. Eat. Sleep. Fly!
Best, Hoovie

Offline FLOYD CARTER

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • owner
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2012, 03:50:47 PM »
Yeah.  I hate silver for all the reasons given, and then some!  But I'm building another P-51 The prototype I chose has silver on the bottom.  I'll try some of the ideas found here.

Floyd
90 years, but still going (mostly)
AMA #796  SAM #188  LSF #020

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here