News:

• June 15, 2024, 11:39:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Iron-on Films  (Read 859 times)

Offline Neville Legg

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
Iron-on Films
« on: September 08, 2010, 01:47:20 PM »
When using iron-on films, (something I haven't used on a stunt model since the 60's!) do you dope or seal the airframe first? I've been doping the the airframe on a radio scale model that is being covered in solartex (coverite type material) that will eventually be painted. The covering seems to stick better than on bare wood, I use 2-3 coats of thin dope sanding in between, never tried it under glossy film though!

Cheers     Neville
« Last Edit: September 08, 2010, 02:47:38 PM by Neville Legg »
"I think, therefore I have problems"

(not) Descartes

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Iron-on Films
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2010, 02:05:09 PM »
I've seen it recommended here.  I don't -- but then, if I'm ironing on, I'm taking shortcuts.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Randy Ryan

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2010, 06:48:11 PM »
Neville, you should seal up the nose at least, I use thinned finishing resin or epoxy. Other then that, I don't worry about it, as long as all your joints are lapped and well sealed, it'll keep the oil out.
Randy Ryan <><
AMA 8500
SAM 36 BO all my own M's

Offline Neville Legg

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2010, 12:12:04 PM »
I would splosh loads of dope or thin epoxy around the nose area as a matter of course, but some dope on the rest of the airframe might impart some stiffness to the wood, and make a better seal for the adhesive on the film. Some of the high performance glider guiders over here give their wings a coat of dope before glassing with epoxy, they say it makes the glass stick a lot better!

Cheers   
"I think, therefore I have problems"

(not) Descartes

Offline Paul Wood

• 21 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2010, 08:11:08 PM »
I used to seal the wood, but I now just use Balsarite or Stix-it painted only on the areas where I iron the covering to the frame.  I've never found a covering that will stick well to bare wood.  If you prefer to seal the wood, such as around the engine area, Balsarite can be used over wood sealed with just about anything.  I've used epoxy, Minwax (both urethane and acrylic), Mod Podge, Elmer's glue, Kilz, and thin CA.  All worked well, but probably only added weight.  Have fun.

Paul

Offline Terry Bolin

• Captain
  • Havin' the time of our lives!
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2010, 08:39:35 AM »
I thin Balsarite down to half with thinner and apply it along the trailing and leading edges, one coat about 1" wide. Lightly sand after 24 hours and tac rag before covering. But on the nose and fus area where the cowl attaches, I think Epoxy down with alch. stir like crazy and apply with a flux brush allowing the epoxy to cover the very edge of the monokote or what ever type of covering you use. I like the Ultra coat the very best but still use monokote alot.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here