News:

• April 19, 2024, 05:59:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Interesting health study on Dope  (Read 1233 times)

Offline kevin king

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Interesting health study on Dope
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2020, 08:20:15 AM »
Good information, I checked the MSDS sheet for Randolph butyrate and Nitrate dopes and they do not contain any tetrachloroethane or benzol which seems to be the solvent use in the dope used for these aircraft. Still the materials used in our modern dopes are toxic if exposed for a long period of time in a closed area. Bottom line is make sure you have good ventilation. I use a 20" Box fan from Home Depot ($20) in the window for inside work bush coat, then do the spray coats outside (wear a mask even with dope).

Best,    DennisT

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2020, 10:31:05 AM »
Still the materials used in our modern dopes are toxic if exposed for a long period of time in a closed area. Bottom line is make sure you have good ventilation. I use a 20" Box fan from Home Depot ($20) in the window for inside work bush coat, then do the spray coats outside (wear a mask even with dope).

It's not just "modern" dope, "vintage" dope has the same or worse things in it. All the various finishing materials used in model airplanes carry significant chemical exposure risk. There's some notion that "modern" finishes are somehow dangerous and require a lot of PPE, and dope is a "safe" alternative. Dope is dangerous in a different way, but the precautions recommended are about the same. People think it is "safe" only because it was commonly used before safety was a relevant factor and most people get away with it.

I had a discussion with a few people in PAMPA about some Stunt News articles that were claiming about how modern finishes were dangerous and dope was "safe", one in particular being a pretty vicious attack put in the nastiest possible terms that really went over the top, and another highly self-serving. Both types of paint are generally unsafe to breath or get on your skin, implying otherwise (particularly in the terms that were used) was not up to SN standards. We get away with it because of very short and rare exposures, not because it is safe.

Brett

Offline Will Hinton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • www.authorwillhinton.com
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2020, 05:39:27 PM »
When I was working as an A&P at Toledo Express, a buddy and I were assigned to spray the clear on two Piper Colts.  They were behind a curtain and we went at it right away.  Withing half an hour the manager walked in, grabbed us both by the arms and walked us outside the hanger into the November air without coats on.  We were both so stinking high we were whoopin' and hollering up a storm.  This was in just fifteen minutes or so, because we had not started spraying right away, what with needing to prepare the equipment and thin the dope.  Think it's safe?  No way, USE YOUR PROTECTION!
John 5:24   www.fcmodelers.com

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2020, 05:48:14 PM »
Maybe that is my problem.  Used to dope planes in my bedroom with the door closed. D>K
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2020, 08:23:12 PM »
When I was working as an A&P at Toledo Express, a buddy and I were assigned to spray the clear on two Piper Colts.  They were behind a curtain and we went at it right away.  Withing half an hour the manager walked in, grabbed us both by the arms and walked us outside the hanger into the November air without coats on.  We were both so stinking high we were whoopin' and hollering up a storm.  This was in just fifteen minutes or so, because we had not started spraying right away, what with needing to prepare the equipment and thin the dope.  Think it's safe?  No way, USE YOUR PROTECTION!

It's a lot like getting high any other way - no matter how "recovered" you feel, you have done damage.

Brett

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2020, 08:54:07 PM »
We're high on the real thing: powerful gasoline, a clean windshield, and a shoeshine.
The Jive Combat Team
Making combat and stunt great again

Offline Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2020, 11:23:26 PM »
Lets hear it for the 20 point finish.   :X

Ken
AMA 15382
If it is not broke you are not trying hard enough.
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2020, 04:43:13 PM »
I've used dope for more than 50 years. I always wear a mask and am careful with it. Just foolish to do anything else.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here