News:

• April 18, 2024, 04:42:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: I'm just full of questions today: Rustolem and trim color application ....  (Read 431 times)

Offline Miotch

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
This is a bit premature as I'm not ready for colors yet, but I want to be prepared when I start.  Base coat will be white with lots of red and black trim applied over the white.  Normally after I mask for trim, I spray a very light coat of clear to seal the edges of the tape so there is no trim color bleed.  Now I have also just used a light mist coat of the trim color itself for this, but clear insures crisper lines as even the mist coat can bleed under sometimes.  So, if I'm using Rustoleum for colors, what clear spray can I safely use to mist the trim areas before applying the colors ??  I obviously am looking for something that is compatible with the trim colors so I don't get any bubbling, lifting or alligatoring (is that a word ?).

Again, thanks in advance for any suggestions or knowledge.

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
This is a bit premature as I'm not ready for colors yet, but I want to be prepared when I start.  Base coat will be white with lots of red and black trim applied over the white.  Normally after I mask for trim, I spray a very light coat of clear to seal the edges of the tape so there is no trim color bleed.  Now I have also just used a light mist coat of the trim color itself for this, but clear insures crisper lines as even the mist coat can bleed under sometimes.  So, if I'm using Rustoleum for colors, what clear spray can I safely use to mist the trim areas before applying the colors ??  I obviously am looking for something that is compatible with the trim colors so I don't get any bubbling, lifting or alligatoring (is that a word ?).

Again, thanks in advance for any suggestions or knowledge.
To my knowledge, Rustoleum clear is a different formulation from the colors.  I have used it as a poor man's clear mostly to seal slide off decals and a light top coat.  If you can test it on something it might be fine.  With anything rattle can, beware of the blowback.  The spray is less focused than a spray gun and pretty strong.

Ken
AMA 15382
If it is not broke you are not trying hard enough.
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here