News:

• March 29, 2024, 04:09:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: I am looking for a lacquer based chrome colored paint  (Read 1943 times)

Offline RknRusty

• 2019 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
    • My Tube channel
I am looking for a lacquer based chrome colored paint
« on: January 14, 2018, 09:15:52 PM »
Aerosol would suit me best, but I can spray it with PreVal if necessary. I want to spray Chrome and Cobalt Blue on my Cardinal. Duplicolor Perfect Match acrylic lacquer is my favorite go-to paint for models. Most of the Perfect Match colors come in both lacquer and enamel. I've found the chrome in their enamel formula, but I'd prefer the lacquer because butyrate clear dope works well with it. No bad reactions.

I've been searching, but not finding any chrome lacquer. Any ideas?

I guess it'll look more like a bluebird, but it won't look like everyone else's Cardinal. I'll use chrome and blue Monokote on the wings, but the rest will be painted, my usual M.O.
Thanks,
Rusty
DON'T PANIC!
Rusty Knowlton
... and never Ever think about how good you are at something...
while you're doing it!

Jackson Flyers Association (a.k.a. The Wildcat Rangers(C/L))- Fort Jackson, SC
Metrolina Control Line Society (MCLS) - Huntersville, NC - The Carolina Gang
Congaree Flyers - Gaston, SC -  http://www.congareeflyer.com
www.coxengineforum.com

Offline phil c

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: I am looking for a lacquer based chrome colored paint
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2018, 11:04:44 AM »
No laquer will be fuel proof.  But autobody clear in a thin coat will seal and fuel proof most paints that are thoroughly dried or cured and provide a smooth, glossy finish.
phil Cartier

Offline RknRusty

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
    • My Tube channel
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2018, 03:34:20 PM »
Hi Phil
I've had good luck with Brodak butyrate clear on everything behind the LE of the wing, and something more fuel proof in front. Clear Lustrekote is bulletproof, but it's problematic for repairs because it peels. I want to try something like clear 2k on the nose of this Cardinal. I think it's available locally too, we have lots of marine supply stores around lake Murray.

Jim Svitko gave me a lead on cobalt blue lacquer and it turns out Duplicolor does make it. But now I'm disappointed that I must've been mistaken yesterday about it being a Monokote color. So I ordered something called metallic blue and I'll just take a sample to the auto parts store when I buy the Duplicolor Perfect Match lacquer.
Rusty
DON'T PANIC!
Rusty Knowlton
while you're doing it!

www.coxengineforum.com

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2018, 05:05:11 PM »
Got 250 mil. of Auto Silver ( theres 10.000 silvers  >:( ) and dumped in clear dope , piecemeal . Nitrate .
The colour charts for expensive sh*tboxes have the shiner silvers .

Can start with third coat & low % to build up colour depth .

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2018, 06:01:36 PM »
Rusty,

You can walk into any sign shop and pick up chrome vinyl. Possibly for free. Cut the stuff up for 'accents.'

Could be an alternative?

Charles
Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline RknRusty

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
    • My Tube channel
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2018, 09:31:38 PM »
Rusty,

You can walk into any sign shop and pick up chrome vinyl. Possibly for free. Cut the stuff up for 'accents.'

Could be an alternative?

Charles
Hi Charles
Yes, it could have been alternative to the chrome Monokote for the wing, but now that I've already ordered the M'kote, I'll use it. I want blue and chrome paint for the colors on the fuselage.
I'll remember that for future reference though.
Rusty
DON'T PANIC!
Rusty Knowlton
while you're doing it!

www.coxengineforum.com

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2018, 06:37:39 AM »
Hi Charles
Yes, it could have been alternative to the chrome Monokote for the wing, but now that I've already ordered the M'kote, I'll use it. I want blue and chrome paint for the colors on the fuselage.
I'll remember that for future reference though.
Rusty

Rusty,

You cannot cover a full wing with open bays with this chrome vinyl. However, it is chrome and could be used on the fuselage over sheeting. I believe it will match chrome covering.

Sounds like you have an interesting model there.

Charles

If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline RknRusty

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
    • My Tube channel
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2018, 07:22:07 PM »
Rusty,

You cannot cover a full wing with open bays with this chrome vinyl. However, it is chrome and could be used on the fuselage over sheeting. I believe it will match chrome covering.

Sounds like you have an interesting model there.

Charles
Charles,
Yes, I understand I can't use the vinyl as structural covering. You may remember the Streaky looking Skyray I built a few years ago that has a similar look and may give you a rough idea of what the Cardinal will look like if you just think dark metallic blue and chrome. This was my first purpose built stunter for my entry into Intermediate.
DON'T PANIC!
Rusty Knowlton
while you're doing it!

www.coxengineforum.com

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2018, 08:25:37 PM »
Charles,
Yes, I understand I can't use the vinyl as structural covering. You may remember the Streaky looking Skyray I built a few years ago that has a similar look and may give you a rough idea of what the Cardinal will look like if you just think dark metallic blue and chrome. This was my first purpose built stunter for my entry into Intermediate.

Rusty,

You know I have you to blame for my rattle can finishes. A hard sell but I took your advice and EVERY model I've built, plus the ones yet to be finished, will have rattle can paint someplace. It's an easy road and you can get a great finish.

I think of you every time I buy a can. So thank you for that.

Wow! You still have this model? Nice.  H^^

OK. I'll think dark metallic blue and chrome. I'm thinking...........I'm still thinking.

I'm thinking a color would be missing. I'm thinking three colors to really make the model pop. And the third color cannot butt up to the chrome. Must leave a space of dark metallic blue.

I would use a pastel most any pastel color would work, even a light blue.

I go to the paint store and get color chips. I spread them out. Easier to decide.

BAM! three colors and it'll pop.

Got any designs on paper?

Charles

Offline Peter Nevai

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
    • C3EL
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2018, 09:43:12 PM »
The only really authentic looking chrome paint finish I know of. Just in case someone wants to try it.

https://alsacorp.com/spray-chrome-paints/
Words Spoken by the first human to set foot on Mars... "Now What?"

Online Mike Scholtes

• Admiral
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2018, 11:15:55 PM »
Brodak makes a cobalt blue dope that is nearly black. I have used it on several large-ish models and it is quite nice in the sunlight. Brodak "B-25 Silver" is pretty metallic looking and may suit your needs. Or, go to an auto paint store and get the liquid colors that are mixed into clear dope. There are paint experts on here who can tell you what proportions to use, but the process works fine. You can avoid buying anything but clear dope from here on out.

Online Gordon Tarbell

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2018, 06:17:20 AM »
Is Brodak B-25 silver available again? I thought it was discontinued. I did not see it listed on Brodak site. would love to try some of it.
Gordon Tarbell AMA 15019

Offline RknRusty

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
    • My Tube channel
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2018, 09:08:06 AM »
Charles, the Osprey's remains are in my boneyard room. I was out at Fort Jackson, SC showing off to friend and fellow modeler Ron Cribbs who was visiting from Oklahoma. He's a Stunthangar member too. I plowed it on the outside loop of a square 8 and it rode home in a grocery bag.

It will definitely have another color. I almost always use black somewhere on a plane. But I never draw it up, which is something I should do because I am a good amateur artist. It runs in the family.

Mike, Peter, everybody else, thanks for the suggestions. I'm looking forward to painting it. I'm slow going while recovering from the broken hip, and the cold concrete shop floor is not inviting, so hang with me and I'll post a report when I'm back in business.
Rusty

DON'T PANIC!
Rusty Knowlton
while you're doing it!

www.coxengineforum.com

Online Brent Williams

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Fancher Handles - Presented by Brent Williams
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2018, 02:30:31 AM »
You might try spraying this product from autoaircolors.  4104 Quicksilver Chrome

https://autoaircolors.com/custom-automotive-paint/4104.html
Laser-cut, "Ted Fancher Precision-Pro" Hard Point Handle Kits are available again.  PM for info.
https://stunthanger.com/smf/brent-williams'-fancher-handles-and-cl-parts/ted-fancher's-precision-pro-handle-kit-by-brent-williams-information/

Offline RknRusty

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
    • My Tube channel
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2018, 10:28:35 AM »
You might try spraying this product from autoaircolors.  4104 Quicksilver Chrome

https://autoaircolors.com/custom-automotive-paint/4104.html
That's interesting stuff. Thanks, Brent, I bookmarked it.
DON'T PANIC!
Rusty Knowlton
while you're doing it!

www.coxengineforum.com

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here