News:

• March 28, 2024, 02:13:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: How well do cream colors cover?  (Read 1175 times)

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
How well do cream colors cover?
« on: June 04, 2022, 03:19:55 PM »
I made the mistake of consulting with my family artistic mafia, and now I'm going to be painting a plane with cream as a base coat.

Since cream is basically white with a little bit of brown added it seems like I should be able to just paint it as a base coat where I would normally paint white.

Is this the case?  Or will I shoot myself in the foot if I try?
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Ken Bird

• 2020 supporter
  • Ensign
Re: How well do cream colors cover?
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2022, 10:13:05 PM »
Tim,

I had no problems with the cream I used as a base coat on my Caprice. I had used Brodak primer over carbon veil and sanded a good portion off so the surface had quite a mottled appearance prior to the cream. No problems with coverage.

I should state that the paint I used was Valspar auto base color.

Hope this helps.

Ken 

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2022, 09:29:53 AM »
A few years back I painted a DeMeco Continental,  Diana Cream and Stinson Maroon. My base paint was Insignia White over gray primer.white. No problems. D>K

I'm wondering if I can just skip the white in the base coat and put the cream straight over the gray or silver.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Trostle

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2022, 04:15:36 PM »
It has been my experience that a light grey works well as a blocking coat for any color on top of it.  From white, yellow, red to anything else.  At least it is worth a try. 

I do not know about metallics.  I gave up on metallics years ago on a stunt ship.  Impossible to match for whatever reason later on.

Keith

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2022, 04:21:28 PM »
Tim,
Many have use Diana Cream as a block/base coat over silver or gray. Works fine, better than white, should be fine as the base and top coat.

Best,   DennisT

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here