News:

• April 25, 2024, 06:10:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: How to repair covering. Auto clear / rustoleum / silkspan.  (Read 932 times)

Offline Peter in Fairfax, VA

• 23 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
So I bought this plane.  It has a few holes in the covering.  The maker tells me it is automotive clear over rustoleum.  What is a good way to cement down small pieces of silkspan?  I would use clear dope, such as Brodak's, if that would work.  But I don't know if the automotive clear would like that.

Thanks,

Peter

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: How to repair covering. Auto clear / rustoleum / silkspan.
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2019, 04:22:34 AM »
I think I'll use Minwax Gloss Clear Polyurethane https://www.lowes.com/pd/Minwax-Fast-Drying-Polyurethane-Gloss-Oil-Based-32-fl-oz-Polyurethane/999913661 (oil-based) brushed on to hold my silkspan patches.  Then, Rustoleum for color, https://www.lowes.com/pd/Rust-Oleum-Professional-White-Gloss-Enamel-Interior-Exterior-Paint-Actual-Net-Contents-32-fl-oz/4462403followed by the Minwax again for a topcoat.

Online Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2019, 07:30:51 PM »
Peter there seems to be so many products working against you on this one.  Dope is what you need to patch silkspan but the stuff on top of it won't accept new dope on top.  I'd think about just stripping it off and start over-with dope all the way.  Then it's forever repairable.  I'v e only once used auto clear many years ago.  First time the airplane needed repair work I learned not to do that again.  I know some like to use it and maybe those don't get much wear and tear.  The Rustolem?  Don't know how to really fix it either.

Dave
AMA 20934
FAA Certificate FA3ATY4T94

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2019, 09:44:01 PM »
The areas to be patched are small - two of them about 1/4" in diameter.  Some self-adhesive trim monokote might be the easy route.  Though I've already touched up the Rustoleum, so that will need to be fuel-proofed.

Online Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2019, 06:21:22 AM »
You might just consider a little clear packaging tape for those small holes. 

Dave
AMA 20934
FAA Certificate FA3ATY4T94

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here