News:

• April 23, 2024, 05:00:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: How much dope etc do I need  (Read 942 times)

Offline Matt Brown

• 23 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
How much dope etc do I need
« on: August 29, 2018, 09:52:29 AM »
I’m thinking about painting my Sig Magnum. Between covering with whatever I find similar to silkspan and sanding sealer, how much clear and color dope will it take? I’ve not used dope since mid ‘70s so I have little memory of doing it. I will likely start with a white base color and add trim colors to it. I figure if I go ahead and order the dope now, I won’t bail out and cover with film when I get to that point.

Thanks, Matt

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
Re: How much dope etc do I need
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2018, 04:07:47 PM »
Depends to some extent on your finishing method and the size of the plane (in this case, say a 650 square inch wing). Generally, if you are covering with silkspan (GM or SGM) it will take about a quart of clear butyrate lacquer, possibly a pint of filler (I use clear and talc with a bit of gray paint in it), a pint+ of base color (depends on the color - more transparent colors take more paint) and however much trim you need. If stripes, probably not much. About 3 pints of thinner and I use some retarder in humid conditions to allow moisture to escape.

I generally buy clear, non-taunting Randolph's or Certified in gallon cans along with thinner in gallon cans.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here