News:

• March 28, 2024, 05:26:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: How many color coats?  (Read 1323 times)

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
How many color coats?
« on: May 10, 2022, 06:09:50 PM »
I feel like this is a dumb question, but I'm asking anyway.

I'm a (hopefully) recovering sag and run addict, so I'm purposely trying for lighter coats of everything.

Spraying dope.

How many coats of a given color should I expect to be applying?  I just painted a plane red (with no sags or runs!), and there's some areas where I can just see that the white is showing through a bit.

So, is it normal to put on two (or -- egad!) three color coats?  Or should it be one-and-done?
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Trostle

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: How many color coats?
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2022, 03:22:27 PM »
Some might recommend to apply a blocking coat after all of the sealer/primer is done.  A light gray works nicely.  It will easily cover the various shades of color from the construction/sealer.  Sometimes the primer is a good base if it is uniform.  In the past, some have used aluminum for a blocking coat, but I found that color coats over the aluminum makes it difficult to mask the second color over the initial color without lifting the first from the aluminum paint.  Part of the problem, the aluminum paint was too smooth for the next color coat to adhere to.

Keith

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2022, 04:06:51 PM »
It's silver, white, red.  Now I'll be fretting about adhesion until I can take the tape off!
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline kevin king

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2022, 01:44:09 AM »
It's silver, white, red.  Now I'll be fretting about adhesion until I can take the tape off!
Adding more thinner will increase the chemical bond between the coats of paint and should help prevent the paint from lifting when you pull up the tape.

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2022, 09:46:25 AM »
In the event I decided that I'd just go with the one coat, for, reasons.  Next time I'll go with two thinner coats (maybe with more thinner, even).

No adhesion problems taking the tape off, except for one spot where there was some putty way at the bottom to which the dope didn't stick, and a spot on the canopy where some paint came off (and -- it's a canopy, I knew that was going to be problematic).
AMA 64232

Online Jim Hoffman

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2022, 10:17:37 AM »
 My decision of how much color paint to apply is strongly influenced by the location. I am pretty stingy on the bottom of the plane for weight reasons.

I use a blocking coat of polar grey.  The objective is a uniform color and tone, no blotches

I then shoot a very very thin coat of white.  This made the next orange base coat really pop on a recent project

I often do experiments off to the side before I paint the airplane.

I also highly recommend all parts are in place (cowl, flaps, spinner ect) so their color tone is consistent with the adjacent surfaces
« Last Edit: May 13, 2022, 05:28:36 PM by Jim Hoffman »

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2022, 08:10:53 PM »
I also highly recommend all parts are in place (cowl, flaps, spinner ect) so their color tone is consistent with the adjacent surfaces

Now, whyever should I do that?

Where I grew up (almost literally in a body, paint, and custom shop) you almost always painted everything with the car apart, and then assembled it.  But -- those were freaking good painters, and I'm pretty sure that if candy colors or other challenging finishes were being applied, stuff would get done with the car assembled.
AMA 64232

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here