News:

• March 29, 2024, 08:11:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: How long to wait.  (Read 1564 times)

Offline Perry Rose

• Go vote, it's so easy dead people do it all the time.
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
How long to wait.
« on: January 06, 2021, 10:55:43 AM »
I just used 2K clear coat for the first time. How long should it cure before sanding and buffing?
I may be wrong but I doubt it.
I wouldn't take her to a dog fight even if she had a chance to win.
The worst part of growing old is remembering when you were young.

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
Re: How long to wait.
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2021, 11:28:02 AM »
I just used 2K clear coat for the first time. How long should it cure before sanding and buffing?

I am not entirely sure what that might be, but if that is some sort of 2-part automotive clear, it should be buffed out in a few days, at least the first pass, because, if you wait 2 weeks, it might be the consistency of a diamond and very difficult to even break the glaze. They vary between types, the stuff PTG told us to use was reasonable after a few weeks, the stuff Jim Armour told Ted to use was just about impossible to touch a week later - I had to use *600* to get going, otherwise, the finer paper just skidded off it.

On the other end of the scale, on some repairs, I have started the ribout process in about *3 hours* because it make removing the overspray onto the old clear so easy to remove. It was only slightly harder than jello, but the "halo" of overspray over the rock hard 10-year-old original paint.  Those repairs worked out *perfectly*, I know where they are but even with that, I cannot see the edges.

Brett

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2021, 03:01:32 PM »
If catalyzed polyurethane, then what Brett said. If DuPont 2K Super Clear Coat lacquer, then what you'd do for clear dope. You have to wait for it to gas off completely. It appears that there are several products with the 2K Clear moniker.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Peter Nevai

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
    • C3EL
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2021, 07:53:18 PM »
If it is catalyzed Clear then next day (24 hrs. ) and you are good to go. automotive 2K catalyzed paints harden up pretty quick and is why they have such a short pot life after being mixed.
Words Spoken by the first human to set foot on Mars... "Now What?"

Offline Perry Rose

• Go vote, it's so easy dead people do it all the time.
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2021, 10:44:22 AM »
Thanks for the replies. I got into sanding yesterday and it was ready for it. Some polishing today and test flight when the wind dies down a bit.
I may be wrong but I doubt it.
I wouldn't take her to a dog fight even if she had a chance to win.
The worst part of growing old is remembering when you were young.

Offline PJ Rowland

• AUS - 29541 AMA - 809970
  • Admiral
  • Melbourne - AUSTRALIA
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2021, 11:50:02 PM »
This is always a good one to remember.

Brett is spot on ,its a 2 part process. Sand flat within a few hrs of the clear being touch dry, depending on the temp.

Then wait a week and you can start the buffing phase.

I prefer to start with wet 3500 and work up to 8000 for final using different compounds.
Then the buff, slow and steady with a soft orbital.

Lauri , the new one looks like Clockwork perfection.
If you always put limit on everything you do, physical or anything else. It will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them.” - Bruce Lee.

I Yearn for a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here