News:

• May 02, 2024, 02:51:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Here's how I'm doing the Akromaster  (Read 824 times)

Offline Jim Pollock

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Here's how I'm doing the Akromaster
« on: December 01, 2009, 10:28:11 PM »
My Akromaster is covered and has 5 coats of Sig Clear on it.  I'm going to wet sand the clear over wood but not tissue and then do one more coat of clear tinted with light gray I will sand that down as far as I can then do two light coats of Spray Can (Dupli-Color) Acrylic Lacquer white.  After that, the trim colors will be applied with an air brush and will consist of Sig Butyrate dope in colors of Black, Fokker Red and Miami Blue.  Clear coat will be a two part urethane that Tom has sitting around his shop.  I don't know how it will come out but I think all the parts are compatible...

Jim Pollock    n~   

Offline Clint Ormosen

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Here's how I'm doing the Akromaster
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2009, 07:18:08 PM »
You're going to spray dope colors over spray can paint? I wouldn't. I've seen dope eat just about anything it's sprayed/brushed over. Have you done this before and gotten away with it?
-Clint-

AMA 559593
Finding new and innovated ways to screw up the pattern since 1993

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2009, 01:44:40 PM »
Clint's right, it's tough to tell. Could work fine. Remember, just because it's all lacquer doesn't make it compatible. The thinnners used can cause some interesting effects. Crinkle finish anyone?
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Jim Pollock

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2009, 07:55:24 PM »
Ummmm,

It does sound compatible, maybe i'll test it on another surface first!  I really don't see how butyrate is going to be incompatible with Acrylic Laquer - but anything can happen these days.......

Jim

Offline Clint Ormosen

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2009, 10:44:10 PM »
Ummmm,

It does sound compatible, maybe i'll test it on another surface first!  I really don't see how butyrate is going to be incompatible with Acrylic Laquer - but anything can happen these days.......

Jim

Post a report on results, Jim. I'm interested to see the outcome.
-Clint-

AMA 559593
Finding new and innovated ways to screw up the pattern since 1993

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2009, 08:56:55 AM »
>>I really don't see how butyrate is going to be incompatible with Acrylic Laquer - but anything can happen these days.....<<

Ask Mark Scarborough about compatible finishes. Even when you do everything right, you can get something weird happen because of humidity, or thinner temps or other factors like the cleaning product you used to clear the surface prior to the next coat. Phil Granderson recommends Windex (largely, I imagine, because it's fairly inert with paint). Alcohol can get you in trouble as can some surface cleaning agents. Lately, I've been using straight Naphtha. So far, no problems.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here