Building Tips and technical articles. > Paint and finishing

Heat gun dry for Rustoleum enamel to recoat?

(1/3) > >>

Dennis Toth:
A question for the Rustoleum fans, can you use a light touch with a heat gun to warm (not hot) the surface a bit and get it to cure a little faster to allow recoat in less than 2 days? Seems once it gets dry to the touch (about 1 hour ish) you could warm the surface (maybe every 6 hrs ish) a bit to speed up the cure for recoat. Anyone do this? How soon can you recoat?

Best,    DennisT

Ken Culbertson:

--- Quote from: Dennis Toth on October 21, 2020, 10:51:16 AM ---A question for the Rustoleum fans, can you use a light touch with a heat gun to warm (not hot) the surface a bit and get it to cure a little faster to allow recoat in less than 2 days? Seems once it gets dry to the touch (about 1 hour ish) you could warm the surface (maybe every 6 hrs ish) a bit to speed up the cure for recoat. Anyone do this? How soon can you recoat?

Best,    DennisT

--- End quote ---
I may be really far out on this one but I have been using Rustoleum now for 2 years.  As long as I am staying with the same color, I recoat as soon as it is dry to the touch and I do use light heat to get it there.  However, I never put on a heavy coat so it may not be "apples & oranges".  I let it set 2 days before masking.

Ken

Mike Alimov:
At room temperature, you can recoat in 24 hrs. I would not recommend heat to accelerate drying: it will trap solvents in the deeper layers, and I'm not sure what that will eventually lead to.

Ken Culbertson:
Rustoleum has a recoat window.  It is before 1 hour or after 24 or 48 depending on the source.  I have had a couple or "crackling" episodes where I viloated that window on the "after" side.  My recommendation is consecutive light coats about 15 minutes apart then wait the 48.  Overnight is not 24 hours!  I also prefer the satan to the gloss.  Easy to tell when it is ready for a second coat, patches better and looks the same after the clear.  Better colors too.

Ken

Brett Buck:

--- Quote from: Ken Culbertson on October 21, 2020, 02:01:34 PM --- I also prefer the satan to the gloss.

--- End quote ---

The devil is in the details.

Brett

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version