News:

• March 28, 2024, 09:47:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Harbor Freight 120 cc touch up spray gun.  (Read 1816 times)

Offline Perry Rose

• Go vote, it's so easy dead people do it all the time.
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Harbor Freight 120 cc touch up spray gun.
« on: August 13, 2021, 04:37:51 PM »
How do I find out the size of the nozzle on this gun? There isn't any markings on the tip and nothing in the directions.
I may be wrong but I doubt it.
I wouldn't take her to a dog fight even if she had a chance to win.
The worst part of growing old is remembering when you were young.

Online Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Harbor Freight 120 cc touch up spray gun.
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2021, 05:04:20 PM »
   I don't know how they size them, but you can at least use the shank of a number drill to try to find out the physical size of the opening. If they have replacements that are the same size and you desire a larger one, you can drill out the nozzle with the requires size drill using a pinvise.
   Type at you later,
   Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline Perry Rose

• Go vote, it's so easy dead people do it all the time.
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2021, 08:27:39 AM »
I took the gun apart and measured openings until only the fluid tip remained. I have a standard set of WYPO tip cleaners and the 0.8 mm fit nicely. I didn't have the exact size plug gage so it could be a 0.9 or 1.0 mm. The fluid tip is the thing the needle closes up. I do know that if the paint bubbles in the cup the fluid tip is too loose. And I found that out the hard way.
I may be wrong but I doubt it.
I wouldn't take her to a dog fight even if she had a chance to win.
The worst part of growing old is remembering when you were young.

Offline kevin king

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2021, 06:36:45 PM »
Quote from: Perry Rose link=topic=59984.msg619305#msg619305  I do know that if the paint bubbles in the cup the fluid tip is too loose. And I found that out the hard way.
[/quote
Having a loose or dry bushing on the needle will also cause air to blow into the cup .

Offline kevin king

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2021, 12:13:57 PM »
How do I find out the size of the nozzle on this gun? There isn't any markings on the tip and nothing in the directions.
0.8mm Tip.
https://www.harborfreight.com/120-cc-hvlp-touch-up-air-spray-gun-61473.html

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2021, 12:45:27 PM »
It's a HVLP, this means you'll be applying more paint than is needed.

"Extra paint extra weight," are you spraying "dope?"
Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Online Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2021, 04:05:26 PM »
Not at all so. With HVLP you can control the paint layering much better, and there is less overspray and mess in general. That gives a better end result.
L

And that is just what you want on a touch up gun.
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2021, 05:36:57 PM »
Not at all so. With HVLP you can control the paint layering much better, and there is less overspray and mess in general. That gives a better end result.
L

Like these guys are professionals.

Don't lose sight of the fact these guys are hobbyist, mostly.

This is why everything I preach is simple as pie.

Aerosol cans.  ;D
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2021, 05:43:36 PM »

This is why everything I preach is simple as pie.

That's not why.

Brett

Offline kevin king

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2021, 10:05:36 AM »
"High Volume" I am sure, refers to the volume of air not the volume of paint being sprayed. Thats Why you need to have a larger compressor to operate an HVLP spray gun. Correct me if I am wrong. Thats why I want to try a LPLV spray gun...

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2021, 10:08:28 AM »
"High Volume" I am sure, refers to the volume of air not the volume of paint being sprayed. Thats Why you need to have a larger compressor to operate an HVLP spray gun. Correct me if I am wrong. Thats why I want to try a LPLV spray gun...

Google HVLP.

Online Massimo Rimoldi

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2021, 10:49:49 AM »
Google HVLP.

Hi.
There seems to be confusion about the meaning of HVLP.
HVLP technology was introduced several decades ago to quantitatively improve the transfer of paint from the gun to the piece to be painted.
The system uses a large amount (HV) of low pressure (LP) air  in order to reduce the overspray intended as a nebulized product dispersed in the air and at the same time the rebound product, all to minimize waste and therefore the emissions of VOCs in the atmosphere.
The result is that if (hypothetically) a traditional system allows less than 40% of the sprayed product to be transferred to the piece to be painted (the remaining 60 is dispersed in the air), this percentage can rise to 70% or more with an HVLP system with a good set-up
The above does not mean that with an HVLP system I will put more paint on my plane, but that I will waste less.

Massimo

P.S.: exactly what Kevin meant

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2021, 11:01:31 AM »
Hi.
There seems to be confusion about the meaning of HVLP.
HVLP technology was introduced several decades ago to quantitatively improve the transfer of paint from the gun to the piece to be painted.
The system uses a large amount (HV) of low pressure (LP) air  in order to reduce the overspray intended as a nebulized product dispersed in the air and at the same time the rebound product, all to minimize waste and therefore the emissions of VOCs in the atmosphere.
The result is that if (hypothetically) a traditional system allows less than 40% of the sprayed product to be transferred to the piece to be painted (the remaining 60 is dispersed in the air), this percentage can rise to 70% or more with an HVLP system with a good set-up
The above does not mean that with an HVLP system I will put more paint on my plane, but that I will waste less.

Massimo

LVLP is what I would use if I was spraying automotive base coat cleat coat on a model. The paint must be atomized and HVLP doesn't atomized paint as well as LVLP.

BUT I USE AEROSOL CANS ANYWAY SO I DON'T GIVE A ROYAL.  LL~ LL~

I had 40 years of the other. Now I'm on easy street.

Online Massimo Rimoldi

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2021, 11:53:54 AM »

BUT I USE AEROSOL CANS ANYWAY SO I DON'T GIVE A ROYAL. 

Spray cans are good for touch-ups and small craft projects, so I don't see why you shouldn't use it.  They are practical but in any case they are based on air-less technology which is notoriously the least suitable for obtaining quality finishes.

Massimo

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2021, 12:07:56 PM »
Spray cans are good for touch-ups and small craft projects, so I don't see why you shouldn't use it.  They are practical but in any case they are based on air-less technology which is notoriously the least suitable for obtaining quality finishes.

Massimo

Have you seen these models?

Front row with aerosol cans in days not weeks. Obviously the two part clear does the magic.

I worked with spray paint products professionally for 40 or more years.

Offline Jerry Rauch

• Lieutenant
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2021, 09:59:27 AM »
One thing I have found with all the HF spray guns is that the fluid needles are not hardened steel. This is most likely why they lose their ability to spray a decent pattern quickly. You can prolong their spray ability though, by holding the trigger in when you unscrew the fluid nozzle (the needle is then not dragging on the fluid nozzle when you're unscrewing it to clean). I have found you can see the end of the needle has a worn spot about maybe .015 from the very tip, when the spray pattern goes south.  At this point, it's maybe OK for a primer gun.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here