News:

• May 13, 2024, 03:06:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Brodak paint and thinner  (Read 1480 times)

Offline DanielGelinas

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
Brodak paint and thinner
« on: January 15, 2020, 10:45:51 AM »
Hi guys,
I’m getting bad results from mixing brodak paint with sig thinner... just doesn’t seem to mix well.
Is there any DuPont thinner that you know works well with brodak paint? Its hard to get brodak thinner where I live.
Thanks!
Dan

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
Re: Brodak paint and thinner
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2020, 11:28:51 AM »
Randolph's thinner should work well. Brodak is, after all, made by Randolph's.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2020, 01:04:45 PM »
Are you trying for front row in competition?

If not, just stop using that stuff. Start using aerosol cans.

No high costs for spray equipment.
No compressor costs.
No high costs for paint in cans to mix with thinners that may or may not work.
No cleaning of spray equipment.

The're many modelers in the Forum who get excellent results using only aerosol cans.

Yes, like any paint product there are things to know if you want excellence in your finish.

Costs no money to do research.

CB
Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline Jim Svitko

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2020, 03:57:16 PM »
Randolph's thinner should work well. Brodak is, after all, made by Randolph's.

Agreed.  See if you can get the Randolph thinner.  The Randolph thinner will be cheaper.  A local aircraft supply place near me usually has it in gallon cans.  I think the last time I bought some it was about $48/gallon.

Aircraft Spruce should also have it but if it has to be shipped to you, the gallon size might require additional hazardous material fees added to the normal shipping charges.

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2020, 08:32:53 AM »
Lacquer thinner from Home Depot.  About $14 a gallon.
Paul Smith

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2020, 01:41:49 PM »
Yep, you can use cheap thinner. It might work. With lacquer, about a million things can go wrong if you are using manufacturer's recommended materials. You can use other stuff but you are playing Russian Roulette. Might be OK, might go terribly wrong - as you discovered with the Sig Thinner.

Pay your money and take your chances.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Leester

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2020, 02:49:19 PM »
To answer your question I use Dupont 3608s and it's been fine for my needs.
Leester
ama 830538

Offline Balsa Butcher

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • High Desert Flier
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2020, 10:23:52 PM »
I buy Randolphs in quart cans, 4 (1 gallon) at a time. Don't remember the price but no no haz mat fees if bought by the quart and quick shipping.  8)

additional: For the record, I get mine from Aircraft Spruce and Specialty Company who advertise on this forum. Current price is $17.90 per quart. Hmmmm, price has sure gone up since my last order but at least it's still available.

« Last Edit: January 20, 2020, 11:45:05 AM by Balsa Butcher »
Pete Cunha
Sacramento CA.
AMA 57499

Offline billbyles

• AMA Member
  • Captain
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2020, 08:53:10 PM »
To answer your question I use Dupont 3608s and it's been fine for my needs.

Not sure where you live but 3608S has not been available in California for a long time.  The low VOC replacement is V3608S & absolutely will not thin dope, either butyrate or nitrate.  I agree with Randy that it is a crapshoot to use anything but the thinner designed for the product.  Yeah, I know, there is a lot of anecdotal "evidence" that lacquer thinner is just fine but I would not use it for anything but gun cleaning.  It is one thing to get away with it on something as small as a model airplane but trying it on a full-scale airplane is risking lot of expensive labor & material.  So for dope thinning I use only butyrate dope thinner, butyrate thinner works just fine for both nitrate & butyrate dope but nitrate thinner works only for nitrate.
Bill Byles
AMA 20913
So. Cal.

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2020, 05:06:34 AM »
Hi guys,
I’m getting bad results from mixing brodak paint with sig thinner... just doesn’t seem to mix well.
Is there any DuPont thinner that you know works well with brodak paint? Its hard to get brodak thinner where I live.
Thanks!
Dan

Dan,

Let's start at the beginning.

Do you enjoy the following:

Applying primers, paint and related thinners using spray equipment?

Opening cans, mixing and straining paint through filters?

Cleaning spray guns before you spray then again after you spray?

Is compressor noise you're favorite song while painting a model?

Are you looking for front row quality in the finish of your models?

This is not a test and you get absolutely nothing for answering these questions.

I personally would answer "No" to every one of these choices. And they are choices.

CB
Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2020, 04:06:03 PM »

Some batches of Brodak will work with SIG, but not others. There have been a number of people who have has pretty severe problems along those lines - the Brodak color will just "curdle" in the SIG thinner, for example. Or, you can paint SIG over Brodak, but the adhesion is zero, it's just sort of laid over the top, and will come up in one big sheet.

At least it's not Aero-Gloss - which wasn't even reliably compatible with itself!

I am far from an expert on the topic (unlike Bill Byles - who IS) but I have seen and heard enough horror stories that I completely avoid almost any air-trying product outside of nitrate dope.

Brett

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here