News:

• March 28, 2024, 05:55:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Good spray gun paint video  (Read 2029 times)

Offline Joe Ed Pederson

• 23 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
Good spray gun paint video
« on: November 05, 2019, 11:38:40 AM »
I wish I had watched this video before I started spray painting:    

I am a rank beginner at spray painting and my initial results demonstrate it.   I had concluded that my results were pitiful because of the cheap Harbor Freight spray guns I bought.   That still may be the problem, but I learned from the video that I had been setting up the guns improperly.  I learned enough from the video that I can practice with water based acrylic and see if the fault lies with the spray gun or with me.

This video is based on painting cars.  If anyone knows of good videos on the very basics of spray painting our models, would you please post the ling to those videos?

I found this video on the importance of using at least 3/8" air hose on any HVLP spray gun

and this one on the purple Harbor Freight spray gun: 

Joe Ed Pederson
Cuba, MO
« Last Edit: November 05, 2019, 02:32:55 PM by Joe Ed Pederson »

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
Re: Good spray gun paint video
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2019, 09:28:43 AM »
I just saw this Thread.

These guys have absolutely no idea you're painting model airplanes that have to be as light as possible. Seems that's the goal for competitive modeling enthusiasts?

HVLP vs LVLP

I'd dig in a bit and look closely at these differences, HVLP vs LVLP, before buying any equipment for spraying model airplanes. Much to learn and a few decisions to make based on the type of model you build and for what purpose you elect to use it for.

Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline Joe Ed Pederson

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2019, 11:30:33 AM »
I just saw this Thread.

These guys have absolutely no idea you're painting model airplanes that have to be as light as possible. Seems that's the goal for competitive modeling enthusiasts?

HVLP vs LVLP

I'd dig in a bit and look closely at these differences, HVLP vs LVLP, before buying any equipment for spraying model airplanes. Much to learn and a few decisions to make based on the type of model you build and for what purpose you elect to use it for.

Aviojet,

I appreciate your reply.  One thing I've learned so far explains why Monokote, etc, became so popular.   It wasn't just the time saving over slikspan/dope, but also the expense.  A dope finish, I've come to appreciate is orders of magnitude more expensive than Monokote.  A roll of monokote, etc is less expensive than a quart of Brodak dope thinner.

Yes, there is much to learn and I'm still on the beginning of the road. 
There's a lot of guidance on how many coats of clear, primer/base color, color and clear to apply.   But there is far less info on which spray gun to use.  I know the videos I posted above are for repainting cars and such, but what guns do people use between the HVLP guns intended for cars and the little airbrushes intended to spray paint a 1/72 scale plastic model airplane kit?   I bought the $25.00 detail spray gun with a .8mm nozzle from Harbor Freight that Sparky recommended in a Stunthanger video.  The one Sprarky bought worked well for him, but the one I bought was the most crude piece of scrap metal that ever came out of a factory.

I'm just getting back into building CL and just have an inner aversion to monokote, so as my first practice project I recovered the wing on a Sig Banshee
It had ancient/multi-patched monokote on the wing.   I recovered with polyspan and medium silkspan on the wingtips and Brodak dope.   Even using the Harbor Freight purple HVLP gun and the Harbor Freight detail gun, I only added 1.5 oz with my recover/refinish (through clear coat over the colors).  I've read somewhere that Monokote is lighter than a dope finish.  So, I'm thinking 1.5 oz increase isn't too bad.  Fortunately, the Banshee with a Fox .35 (no muffler) was only 37.5 ounces to begin with.

Anyway, Aviojet, if you have a suggestion for a spray gun, I'ld love to hear it.

Thanks,
Joe Ed Pederson

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2019, 12:32:30 PM »
Anyway, Aviojet, if you have a suggestion for a spray gun, I'ld love to hear it.

Thanks,
Joe Ed Pederson

I sent you a PM.

With my phone number.

If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline Mike Quinn

• Ensign
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2020, 03:09:07 PM »
I sent you a PM.

With my phone number.

Hi

I'm in the same boat ... any chance you can share info on here as to spray gun set up recommendations?

I've got a 0.8mm HVLP cheap gun.

Cheers

Mike

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2020, 07:33:14 AM »
Hi

I'm in the same boat ... any chance you can share info on here as to spray gun set up recommendations?

I've got a 0.8mm HVLP cheap gun.

Cheers

Mike

Mike,

I have a painting system I put together using only aerosol cans and occasionally an inexpensive air brush. Here's a few of my models painted with only aerosol cans.

As far as a spray gun. Just stay away from HVLP. But even with HVLP, I would 400 or 600 before applying a color over a color or before applying the final clear coat.

The trick is to use as little paint as possible.

Offline Mike Quinn

• Ensign
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2020, 10:54:43 AM »
Hi

What issues should I watch out for with the HVLP?

Thanks for any help.

Mike

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2020, 03:06:06 PM »
Hi

What issues should I watch out for with the HVLP?

Thanks for any help.

Mike

More paint than what you really need. "High Volume Low Pressure."

But who am I to say because I use aerosol cans.  ;D

Well I have no control of air and you do. This is why I always sand, to level the highs and lows of the paint, to some degree.

If you're looking for front row, there are plenty of other stuff to consider besides HVLP spray guns.

You could forget all that "spray equipment stuff" and use aerosol cans.

You can do front row with aerosol cans if you know what you're doing.

I looked this up on line just for you.

"The high pressures of conventional spray guns turn paint into a finely atomized mist, giving you a thinner, finer application. HVLP spray guns produce a thicker coat due to their lower pressure, producing large droplets."

"Aerosol cans" trust me.  ;D

CB

Offline Astropuppy

• Ensign
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2020, 04:14:51 PM »
So, I just started using aerosol cans. Have used rust-oleum and Tamiya Spray Lacquers. Question: what Lacquers for air brushing? Think, small trim.
Astropuppy

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2020, 05:35:11 PM »
So, I just started using aerosol cans. Have used rust-oleum and Tamiya Spray Lacquers. Question: what Lacquers for air brushing? Think, small trim.

I tried Rust-oleum early on before I painted my Flite Streak 007. I had a sample board. I only tried Rust-oleum because Rusty used it and I wanted to give the product the benefit of the doubt.

There were things about it I didn't like. So, because I have a long background with Krylon brand aerosol cans, I settled using Krylon. I've been pitching Krylon for years, 7 or 8 years possibly.

Because I use only 2K auto clear, this allows me to use just about everything offered in paint products, not only lacquers.

Art Supply stores are great. They have many paint products which are designed to be applied with an air brush.

Yes, the Tamiya paint product line is incredible. I used Tamiya paints on my Stuka Tank Buster for authentic scale colors and Golden acrylic artist tube water base paint for the winter camo.

I raved about this stuff years ago and can't imagine why it's taken so long to catch on? Krylon also. I've Posted color charts and actual color charts made up of Krylon cans over at CFC Graphics vendor's corner.

The easiest way to have great success in finishing a model, is to copy someone else's finishing methods exactly, product by product.

So, read a bit and find a method that works for you. Keep in mind it's 2020, so I wouldn't read really old articles. You decide.

CB

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here