News:

• April 19, 2024, 06:06:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Glad - PRESS N SEAL for finishing resin  (Read 894 times)

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Glad - PRESS N SEAL for finishing resin
« on: September 01, 2021, 06:52:05 AM »
Guys,
I was finishing the nose on a rebuilt S1 Ringmaster putting a single layer of fiberglass over the doubler and needed to hold down the edges going over the top and bottom of the fuse. I had babied the glass down with the finishing resin and pretty much got it in place but was not sure it would hold.

I had been turned on to GLAD PRESS N SEAL during some recent medical treatment to cover areas that they didn't want me to get wet while showering. The stuff is great just cut what you need and press it down, pull off when done.

I thought this might work with the fiberglass/finishing resin so I tried it. It works great. I was able to smooth the over-lapped edges and the main flat surfaces too. Just wrap it over the surface and press in place. Kinda like a poor mans vacuum bag. It releases very clean with no need for mold release treatment. Keep this in mind when you need to hold down something that is being adhered.

Best,    DennisT

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Re: Glad - PRESS N SEAL for finishing resin
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2021, 06:55:42 AM »
UPDATE: Did the second side over the outside fuse doubler. It worked to hold down the edge just as it did on the first side. I applied the glass/resin in the morning and let is cure overnight. This was a little to long as the resin did start to grab the Press N seal which I was still able to remove but it was more work then the shorter cure time (6 hrs) on the first side. So if you use this once the resin sets after about 6 - 8 hrs. pull off the Press N Seal.

Best,    DennisT

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here