News:

• April 18, 2024, 07:12:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Getting it straight about Deft Wood Sealer and applying silk dry with CA.  (Read 1296 times)

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
The truth about Deft Wood Sealer.

I first mentioned Deft back in 2016 in the GBR-3 build where I used this product on the GBR-3. It's great stuff! Take a look at the build! I use it everywhere. I started using Deft back in 2016. I was actually introduced to Deft by another modeler, sorry, I don't remember who, so this product and it's use on model airplanes has been used by others and has been around a bit. Check out the GBR-3 build and see for yourself. 2016!!!

AS far as applying silk dry with CA this started back in 2016 also. It's not new!! This came about because of the time loss using other methods. I said, "There's gotta be a better way." So I came up with a better way. For me, it's a much better way. Finish a wing in minutes ready for clear dope. Can't beat this!!

WE all have our own way of doing things, don't we?

The dry silk CA thing isn't new.

In 20I6, post #115, covered the GBR-3 tail feathers with CA and dry silk. 2016, post #214, same Thread, I covered the flaps with CA and dry silk. See post #217. Post #218, silk applied dry on the rudder. All happening in 2016"

Read post #233. I explain in detail how I cover a wing in minutes using CA and dry silk. Sad this isn't catching on.

OK. The ARGO 2 model. Visit the build. "Almost ready for paint."

https://stunthanger.com/smf/cfc-graphics/argo-ii-almost-ready-for-paint/

Post #13 I actually removed the silkspan and replaced it using CA and dry silk. It's all in the Builds and this is 2016.

Sure, I'd like to see more modelers use the dry silk CA method, why not. Keep in mind, I still use clear dope over "open bays." I use Deft on sheeted areas.

The TEXACO 13, my current model, will have Deft everywhere except the open bays. Open bays will be clear doped.

A few pictures from the Build where Deft is used and silk applied dry with CA. 2016.

Charles

Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
More photos of areas covered with silk using Deft Wood Sealer.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
More photos of areas covered with silk using Deft Wood Sealer. This isn't Photoshop, it's evidence that the product works.

Online Motorman

• Admiral
Is that the lacquer or the water based? Is it just clear lacquer or does it have filler? Do you thin it?

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
Is that the lacquer or the water based? Is it just clear lacquer or does it have filler? Do you thin it?

Motorman,

It is the lacquer.

"Minwax" is the water based product, and I've used it also.

Just clear lacquer and "filler" isn't needed. For what? I have no "added" fillers to dope or Deft on any model I've built. I don't need them. Like I said, for what?

Applied ight out of the can and I force dry with a heat gun. I'm just about ready to apply two coats on the TEXACO 13. That will go quick.

Thanks for the reply.

Charles

Online 944_Jim

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
Charles
Why bother with dope at all? I caught that you said only on open bays...but why not finish to your color/fuel proofer over all-Deft? Especially as they are both clear. That skips a full painting/cleaning cycle.

Does real dope butyrate or nitrate do anything on open bays better?

I tried Deft over butyrate with a brush and promptly made a mess. This is the same with nitrate over butyrate.

However the same butyrate sprayed over Deft works fine. Just as it would over Nitrate.

Thanks for your input.

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
Charles
Why bother with dope at all?

"Clear dope has it's purpose."

I caught that you said only on open bays...

Only on open bays. However, I use clear dope to stiffen balsa before I  use micro-balloons or putty on raw wood. What little clear dope was there gets sanded away.

but why not finish to your color/fuel proofer over all-Deft?

The only fuel proofer, in a clear which I know about is the auto two part clear, goes over every layer last. And there's a bunch of layers. Especially as they are both clear. That skips a full painting/cleaning cycle.

Does real dope butyrate or nitrate do anything on open bays better?

All I ever used on "open bays" is butyrate clear. There is a guy who uses Deft. At least he said he did. Many use Minwax water base.

I tried Deft over butyrate with a brush and promptly made a mess. This is the same with nitrate over butyrate.

I cannot speak for that, I have no difficulty with Deft. Go to the Builds!

However the same butyrate sprayed over Deft works fine. Just as it would over Nitrate.

I don't use clear butyrate over Deft.

Couple coats of Deft on the framed model, a light scratch to knock it down then comes the silk.

Charles

Online Motorman

• Admiral
Maybe I'm thick but what does Deft wood sealer have that Nitrate dope doesn't? Is it cheaper, does it seal better, is it a better under coat for spray cans? I'm ready to believe.

Motorman 8)

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
Maybe I'm thick but what does Deft wood sealer have that Nitrate dope doesn't? Is it cheaper, does it seal better, is it a better under coat for spray cans? I'm ready to believe.

Motorman 8)

Motorman,

Yes, you're "thick."  ;D

Throw the Nitrate away or give it to someone you don't like.  LL~ I've never built a model using Nitrate.

I put primer over the last coat of "whatever?" Deft on sheeted areas and clear dope on open bays. Minwax also.

Motorman, walk with me down "memory lane." It'll be fun.

https://stunthanger.com/smf/open-forum/the-argo-my-new-ride-is-back!/msg451056/#msg451056  ARGO

Charles

Online Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral

Motorman 8)

This thread is just an offshoot of this other thread;

https://stunthanger.com/smf/paint-and-finishing/polyspan-61266/

Deft is just a plain, cheap lacquer used mainly in furniture finishing , but there are other uses, like I explained in the other thread. There is really no advantage in using it in conjunction with dope, and you do stand a chance of compatibility issues. it is closer to nitrate than Chuck wants to believe. Bret explains in response #24 on the other thread basically what it is. I have always kept a can around since I was a kid, just as a substitute for dope on rubber models and hand launched gliders. I think I read about it's use in an old model airplane magazine when I used to have to sneak peeks at the mags my older brothers bought. The local hardware store carried it and some other similar products in smaller cans and was cheaper than dope, but like Brett says is no where near fuel resistant, so I would save my precious Aerogloss for my 1/2A control line models when I could afford it. It can be hard to find in some areas today. Chuck could do just as well by using un-thinned dope for his purposes, which I'm not sure that even he knows what they are. He's just desperate to be right on something or think he has some magic finishing system. In short, it's just an extra can for him to have around but he could do the exact same thing with un-thinned dope. I don't know how he feels he's slipping a step. Since he doesn't fly these things, he might as well just watch what Lowes or Home Depot has in house paint on sale and use that.  The rest of this diatribe is just an act.  Until he flies one of these creations, it's all meaningless.
  Type at you later,
  Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline Dan Berry

• Admiral
Deft is  a brushable lacquer. Which means it has slow solvents and maybe a retarder as well.
Deft also has something in it that creates a most egregious odor that goes beyond regular lacquer, dope, nail polish, dog turds and buffalo farts.
I cannot imagine a reason for using it on a toy airplane and I cannot imagine a wife allowing that smell anywhere near a house.

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
Deft is  a brushable lacquer. Which means it has slow solvents and maybe a retarder as well.
Deft also has something in it that creates a most egregious odor that goes beyond regular lacquer, dope, nail polish, dog turds and buffalo farts.
I cannot imagine a reason for using it on a toy airplane and I cannot imagine a wife allowing that smell anywhere near a house.

Ever really used the stuff?

I put a coat of Deft on the TEXACO 13 and could have forced dried the stuff for an immediate second coat, but the wife has horses and we went to the stable. We try to get there two or three times a week. Great having a life beyond toy airplanes.

So, you can do two coats of Deft, fast dry, 40 minutes, as dry as it will ever be, ready for silking. All within an hour or so. Can you do this with dope?
The slower dry, is an advantage.

I used to use dope!

I put up photos of the models I build and mention the materials I use in them. All the materials work well. Fuel proof? Nothing on a model is fuel proof till the last coat of two part auto clear goes on.

Thanks for looking at the thread.

Charles

Online 944_Jim

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
"What does Deft wood sealer have that Nitrate dope doesn't? Is it cheaper?

Motorman 8)

My last quart was $12 and available at my local Mom and Pop hardware store. It behaves like nitrate and will shrink up without really shrinking into a pretzel...unless one lays it heavy and hits with a hairdryer.
The best part is the cost and availability. It seems to primer well, and old AeroGloss sprays over it just fine.  At least for me.

Online 944_Jim

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
I cannot imagine a wife allowing that smell anywhere near a house.

Sir,
You have that right...and how I parlayed taking over the garage closet with through-thr-wall ac! H^^

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here